1748195 Members
3022 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Feedback on new site

TomSmith
Regular Advisor

I have to say I agree with most of the comments above. The ITRC forums was one of the best forums I have used, this was due mainly to its ease of use and a no nonsense framework. I could care less about fancy emoticons and avatars and the rest of the marketing BS.

Are you listening HP?

Dump the glitz and glitter and bring back the old simpler forum.

owenwu
Occasional Visitor

slow, confusion, where is itrc.hp.com?

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

I appreciate that not everyone finds avatars and emoticons interesting/useful - but they're both a part of this community platform, and I guess my best suggestion would be "if you don't want/need them, don't use them".

But if we were to simply "go back" to the old ITRC forums platform, you would lose not only avatars and emoticons, but:

• Enhanced posting capabilities, including:
  1. Better formatting options, using the "insert code", "paste from Word", bolding, underlining, bullets, numbered lists, insert images, etc.
  2. Built in spell-check
  3. Macros for often repeated content (click a button instead of typing in the same thing over and over)
  4. A preview feature that doesn't lose your content if you want to back up and make changes (unless you remembered to copy/paste it)
  5. Quote a previous reply
  • RSS notifications at a category, board, or topic level (in addition to email based subscriptions)
  • A more stable platform that won't render the forums incorrectly or not send out email subscriptions every other week
  • Private messages between users (without having to expose email addresses)
  • Community-wide messaging features
  • One single sign-on (HP Passport) that's now useful across almost all of hp.com (rather than having multiple sign-ons for different forums, one for support contracts, etc.)
  • A platform where we can make on-going updates/changes and add new features (some pretty exciting stuff coming in the coming weeks and months that I wish I could say more about, but you'll have to stay tuned) - this was not possible with the ITRC forums.

If you still feel like you've lost more than you gained, I guess I'm not likely to change your opinion - but for everyone who can adjust to the transition and hang in there, I don't think you're going to be disappointed.

I work for HPE.
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@owenwu wrote:

slow, confusion, where is itrc.hp.com?

The ITRC has been replaced by the new HP Support Center

- please see this "getting started" area of the help page: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PUBLIC_SPF_GLOBAL_HELP/?ac.admitted=1309452858429.876444892.492883150#start

I work for HPE.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> One single sign-on (HP Passport)

Not for me. Please explain how I can sign in once and for all.
I am now facing multiple sign-ons per day albeit to 1 place
Whereas with the ITRC forum I could stay logged in for months.
I don't think I will bother to hit 'Kudo' often if I have to login, no matter how simple my Chrome browser makes that.
fwiw,
Hein
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@Hein van den Heuvel wrote:

Whereas with the ITRC forum I could stay logged in for months.

@new hp.com security standards require an auto log-off @ 60 minutes of inactivity - but I will submit your feedback to the appropriate team as a concern.

I work for HPE.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

"New hp.com security standards require an auto log-off @ 60 minutes of inactivity "
Another gesture to appease clueless management.
How is it more secure _for HP_ to close 'my' session after an hour?
If there is security involved it is 'my' security at risk of someone using my credentials right, but that is my problem.
I would prefer no 'help' from HP with that, I can mind my own business and suggest HP does the same.
I personally find it more of a risk to log in frequently than to leave several open sessions well protected behind a lock screen in a locked office.
HP has no business trying to be the judge of that.
5 minutes unattended at an airport or coffee shop 'can you watch my stuff while I use the restroom' surely is more risky than a year long logged in from my desktop.
The 1 hour inactivity is not going to fix that.
In fact, what problem will it fix? Kindly explain.

Bah!
If Google/Gmail, Hotmail, Facebook, Yahoo and such can leave their users logged in with far more and far more personal data at risk then HP can assume that 'risk'. Again, as you submit th feedback, please aks them to explain to me what the risk is FOR HP, by having my session open for an hour versus 1 minute versus 1 week (or so).

Cheers,
Hein

TomSmith
Regular Advisor

Kevin,

As far as what we have "lost" and "gained", from my perspective, all of the gains have contributed to the loss. The old forums were a simple, professional, no-nonsense place to lookup and contribute techical information. All of the new features you mentioned are more noise than signal in my opinion. I suspect that most of the exciting new features you keep alluding to will most likely be more noise than signal as well.

This is just my opinion, which seems to be falling on mostly deaf ears. I want the simplicity and professionalism of the old site back. There had to be some way of upgrading without making this site look like Facebook or any of the other social network cesspools.

The ITRC forum was an important place to me, and many others. I used it on a daily basis and it had helped me do my job more effectively. I am sad to say HP missed this mark on what made the forums great.

Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin, I'm wondering who asked for all those new features because based on the reactions here and also on ITRC as it was still running it's not as welcome as you probably hoped. With the introduction of private messaging you can expect (at least I do) some of the questions to bypass the main forums.
And something could be done with the forums thread list - on ITRC everything was focused on the thread subject, now the author column is wider than the subject one - I have noticed a change on that (wrapping, ...) but still it is being trucated.

My main worry is - as I already mentioned in other thread - that not all the posts from ITRC were migrated. I'm missing 2 threads I started and until now 3 threads I participated in.

BTW I don't know how and why I gained a "founder" ranking this night ... this just won't help to cease my dissapointment ;)
hphwstel
Advisor

I for my part like the new site, superficially at least.

I have been using ITRC for quite some time and I found it plain compared to the possibilities of our time.

We will see, what this new design brings, it is still young, so I try to give it a chance.

The forum lives from qualified participants. If the ITRC community doesn't execpt it, it is dead as it was before (the forum has existed some time now and I never found anything of value here so I switched to ITRC again)

I just hope, HP understands that and takes the complaints seriously.

What I miss is:

- certain highly specialized categories like HPSIM, or Scripting

- drop down box for my products

I am still getting started, so this list is far from complete.