1748169 Members
4245 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Feedback on new site

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks, Dennis.  That explains "Founder".  Now how about "HP Alliance" or some of the others?  And where do you find these things?

Pete
Joseph P. Smith
Regular Advisor

A fundamental source of woe for those of us with technical needs, as opposed to "experiencing-a-branding" need (.. and what are we, steers being herded up the Chisholm Trail?), here is our problem.

[ Insert "http://"] lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Social-Customers-Matter/

Brand-Strategy-It-s-a-changing-world/ba-p/28682

[Cut & paste above to create a valid URL as correct URL truncated when "Lithimized"]

Is any one of buying this?? All the reindexing, rearrangement of pointers and reformatting pages cannot compensate for this cynicism.  I am not following Justin Beiber, Angelina Jolie, or a political movement.  I have real world, truly difficult problems and questions that my bosses require me to answer efficiently and effectively.  Lithium is good for treating psychoses and believe me, I may arrive sooner than later due to this mess of a support web site.

Folks we are being forced to drink "New Coke".  Well, if Coca Cola, Inc. can turn its ship around and return to "Coke Classic", HP can bring up ITRC Classic.  [insert Munch "Screamer" here]

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Pete,

There are many ranks in the Community. Most ranks are based entirely on your contributions to the Community, but there are also some (such as my own) that are based on a person's role in the community. Thus, n a few cases, a person can have more than one rank. However, only one of the "named" ranks (e.g., "Frequent Contributor") can display next to the person's name. This is where we use an image for the "other" rank.

Thanks,

Warren, HP Enterprise Community Administrator

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Warren,

I'm being dense, obviously, but what is considered a rank?  Is your "Admin" a rank?  Or a ribbon as Hein suggested?  Is your "Community Manager" a rank?  Are they both ranks?  Maybe I should ask what isn't a rank.

We've been thrown into a room full of people who are speaking Greek and no one appears willing to offer up any hints as to how we're supposed to translate this stuff.  Why wasn't there a link with "Terminolgy" or "Definitions" or something put on, if not all the pages, at least in the "Help" page?  Now that's "rank".

Pete
Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Joseph,

Thank you for the pointer to the Lithosphere blog article. What we did by the introduction of the new platform was exactly what the article suggested. For years, there were things that our ITRC users were asking for, but the legacy platform did not support. Now, we have a much more robust platform that has many of these features and functions. Admittedly, not everything was perfect. We inhabit a world where one person's perfect is another's "missed the mark by a mile." But that's another story.

Your soft drink metaphor is an interesting choice. You may remember that when the updated version of the original product appeared, the sugar had been replaced with corn syrup. So it wasn't a true "rollback," but rather a similar product. Analogous to that situation, for us there is no direct path forward to the past.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Feedback on new site (ranking)

>And where do you find these things?

Founder was fairly obvious since this appeared on mine after the BSC forum was migrated.  There might have even been a topic on it?  I'm not sure of the rest, unless obvious.

said:

Anyone who had previously been awarded with 150 or more "points" in the old forums will now be shown as a "Founder" in our new community.

> but what is considered a rank?

This should be obvious.  :-)  You just bring up the Kudos Leaderboard and look at them in order:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/kudos/kudosleaderboardpage/timerange/all/page/1/tab/authors

Exalted Contributor

Acclaimed Contributor

Outstanding Contributor

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Respected Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Valued Contributor

Super Advisor

Regular Advisor

Frequent Advisor

Advisor

Occasional Advisor

Occasional Contributor

HP Pro  (also below)

Super Collector

Visitor
Occasional Visitor
Community Manager
Neighborhood Moderator

本科生  ???

初中学生

高中学生

움막

小学生

Ribbons:
Honored Contributor
Community Manager
Honored Contributor
HP Pro

Unfortunately I don't think these are related to kudos but number of posts?  So I don't know the rank order?

>Why wasn't there a link with "Terminology" or "Definitions"

Exactly.

So unless you are some type of ADMIN/MODERATOR, the only important thing is:

It's the kudos man, it's the stinkin' kudos.  ;-)

The official ranking list:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Ranking-Overview/td-p/4828337

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Dennis, I must apologize but I can only click on kudos once.  Well, actually, I can click on it lots of times, but . . . . .

I must admit that there are still many areas I haven't explored yet, but from what I've seen, not all of the answers seem to be available without having to ask.

Pete
Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Hi Pete,

"ADMIN" is indeed a rank. "Community Manager" is also a rank. So this is an example of what I referred to as two concurrent ranks.

Every social platform has its own terminology. Unfortunately, this makes for a less than seamless transition from one to another. Our platform has two concepts that make up a significant portion of the "persona" each user presents in the Community.

There are roles, which describe what a person does (i.e., tasks or actions he or she can or cannot perform). I am an administrator, for example. This defines my scope of actions.

Then there are ranks. A rank can be based on a formula that measures one's contributions to the community. These ranks are named, e.g., "Frequent Advisor," and you can progress "up the ladder" as your contributions increase. Your rank appears next to your name. A few of these have images associated with them, to enable identification. The "Founder" rank, for example, uses an image instead of just text. These people have been around this site or its predecessors for years (some well over ten years), and this is our way of recognizing that fact for the Community as a whole. A person could be an "Honored Contributor," a "Founder," or both, and this is how we show it.

A rank can also be assigned because that person is part of a specific user group associated with a program, for example. When you see /HP ALLIANCES/ next to a person's screen name, for example, it shows that person to be a member of the HP AllianceONE program.

I hope this is helpful,

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks, Warren, that was helpful but still didn't clear everything up (for me).  From what you're telling me, my rank(s) are "Founder" and "Honored Contributor".  That much I can understand, but what is this "image" business?  Are you referring to the banal avatar?

And you have a "rank" of Community Manager.  Can a Community Manager advance up the ranks to "Honored Contributor"? 

Not only are we dealing with a different language, we seem also to be dealing with hidden rules.

Pete
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You might want to look at what the migrated BSC forum welcome topic has.  It seems there were some of the same complaints a year ago.  But this time we have more and are more whiney.  :-)

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Your-Questions-Regarding/Welcome-to-the-all-new-Business-Support-Forums/m-p/1152601#M4347

It mentions posts not being in order.  But perhaps that was in a Board vs. a view all in a category?

google and old links.