Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Feedback on new site

> [...]  Why is this so secret?

Perhaps because there are people who think that this (stupid) scoring
scheme is as important a matter as the previous (stupid) scoring scheme
that they will spend (waste) all this time (endlessly?) discussing it,
and that suggests that some of them would put comparable effort into
gaming the system if the system were well understood.

The real mystery to me is not how the system works, but why anyone
(grown-up) actually cares.

Joseph P. Smith
Regular Advisor

Mystery solved!   Rankings indicate to some degree the trustworthiness of the answer; for me it's quick indication when scrolling through answers, "Oh, this is place to stop and read."  They have a real effect on us who need answers.  After a while we'll know who has a bloated rank, and who has the goods, but until then there has to be some faith, or at least understanding, in how they are determined.

For me the rankings are so numerous and so indistinct that they almost have no meaning.  Do the rankings have sufficient validity and reliability?  Do they reflect real-world validation in the application of the proposed solution?  I was stunned by my own rank as "frequent advisor".  REALLY?  "How frequently" and "how well-advised" are my questions.  (If by submitting this reply, my ranking is elevated, I reject it ... see Groucho Marx).

As an interesting exercise, if a group of persons were asked to sort a random list ing of the ranks into their understanding of how the ranks are listed in real life, and then compare those results to the actual hierarchy, how well would those lists correlate?

Rankings are a facet of this new site, and the fairness and transparency of how they're determined is not trivial.  If this is a "community", then all of us should have an understanding and perhaps a voice in rankings (supposedly we do by issuing "kudos", but that's only a part of the formula, if one exists).  Cynically, perhaps I err in going with the community idea, and should remember that it's really about marketing.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Unless they didn't do a satisfactory job of answering my question, kudos for all!!!!

Rats, now we have to be nice to Pete or he will revoke his kudos. :-)

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/kudos#kudos

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I didn't even know you could take them back - not that I ever would! :smileysurprised:

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Now here's something interesting.  As of this morning, I can no longer click on the kudos to find out who has awarded them.   Can someone explain to me why all this mystery surrounding kudos and rankings and titles and the rest of this crap is necessary?  Bill?  Kevin?  Anyone?  I'll even give you a kudo!

Pete
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I didn't even know you could take them back

On the post with the kudos, the Options menu has: Revoke My kudos

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I can no longer click on the kudos to find out who has awarded them.

We think alike, I just tried to do that too (and failed)

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Well you might be able to guess that Pete "Kudos For All" Randall handed out a few in this thread, but I'm not the only one and now we'll never know.

This whole kudo crap is becoming increasingly more meaningless.

Pete
Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

You have probably overkudoed the system :)
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Good!  I hope I broke it.  It's useless and meaningless.

Pete