1748249 Members
3258 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Forum feedback

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

"Solved Posts" are shown because 1) if a problem has already been solved, it's easier to use the solution given than start a whole new post and solve it again, and 2) if you solve an issue, you get credit for it in your ranking. In the legacy ITRC forums, I believe that points could be assigned on the basis of value to the reader. Calling post a "solution" is just another way to say the same thing.

We live in a world where there are many people who have programming skills, but decide for whatever reason to use them to perform criminal misdeeds. An open browser session left idle can be used to initiate such schemes. This is why more and more web sites are closing sessions based on idle time parameters. Unfortunately, I see this increasing as time goes along. It is a symptom of a problem that only the people causing it can solve.

Thanks,
Warren_Admin, HP Enterprise Community Managing Administrator
Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not represent those of HP

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>"Solved Posts" are shown because ...

You shouldn't have to explain this, it is obvious, forums are mainly for people asking questions.  Hein probably should never have said it wasn't useful to "real users".

I assume what he meant is that is isn't useful to him.

It isn't useful to me either and I would like an option to suppress them, then eveyone can be happy.

>This is why more and more web sites are closing sessions based on idle time parameters

We just want it configurable by the user, you can leave the default asis.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>why has the option to click to given kudos, so we can see who gave it, gone?

This is now back.

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

some new feedback - as you can see starts the listing mismatch with a unread post with 2 lines (see attachment)

... and it seems like Lithium has the same problem in the HP Support Forum - see att. 2

Last (but not least :-) ) - my profile shows strange contents - my kudos list is confused.

Both lists show my 'Friends' list and show zero kudos at all.

Kind regards

Vo.

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

@Warren
>Solved Posts" are shown because 1) if a problem has already been solved, it's easier to use the solution given
Yes - of course, BUT do HP and/or Lithium think that a user who has a problem will SEE the solution in this short list of ten (why is it ten?) shown solutions?
No, he will search - then he can choose a thread with 'solution' - ok, but it makes no sense to put this list (with an aweful inside scroll bar) at the front page.
It's just for the programmer to say - 'See boss what I can do'.

V.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>BUT do HP and/or Lithium think that a user who has a problem will SEE the solution in this short list of ten?

A slow day?  A small forum?  Or something like this feedback forum where we all complain about the same thing? :-)

>but it makes no sense to put this list (with an awful inside scroll bar) at the front page.

Right.  I'm scrolling the outer scrollbar and get trapped in the inner.  :-(

But it seems that the important thing is the FInd More Solutions button.

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

>But it seems that the important thing is the Find More Solutions button.

Yes - but that would be one line ...

>and get trapped in the inner
That's what I meant (but not yet said) :-)
Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

Is it just me or it realy makes no sense prioritizing the author name instead of topic subject in the forums? Why not simply remove the subject so that the topic list looks like formated? ...

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

RE:  The annoying auto logout "feature"

For you Firefox users, you can install an add-on called ReloadEvery ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reloadevery/ ).  Once installed, you right click on the tab(s) containing your HPSC page(s) and set them to reload every 1, 5, 15 minutes - or whatever time interval you desire.  That reload activity should keep you from being logged out and keeps your content current.

Some other browsers (Chrome, I think) have this capability built in, so check.

Pete
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Chrome did not (as far as I know) but you can enable it by creating a bookmark entry using the following code in the url field

javascript:
timeout=prompt("Set timeout [s]");
current=location.href;
if(timeout>0)
  setTimeout('reload()',1000*timeout);
else
  location.replace(current);
function reload(){
  setTimeout('reload()',1000*timeout);
  fr4me='<frameset cols=\'*\'>\n<frame src=\''+current+'\'/>';
  fr4me+='</frameset>';
  with(document){write(fr4me);void(close())};
}

Click the link with the tab open you want to get refreshed and it will prompt for the value in seconds f.e. 300 for 5min. To disable autorefresh click again and enter 0.

hth

Stephan

*edit*

Just found the extension for chrome: [Link to unavailable add-on removed on 03-23-2017 by Admin]