5673 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

How to deal with old forum posts

Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

How to deal with old forum posts

Dear all,

I'm could go crazy when people respond to forum posts created years ago. I would like to start a discussion on implementing a popup that is displayed in case a user tries to respond to on a very old forum post (e.g. older than 2 years). It could make them aware of the benefits a new topic offers. Old topics should not be locked, but if someone is really looking for an answer it is best to open a new topic. What do you think?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

6 REPLIES 6
Damodar-Reddy
Honored Contributor

Re: How to deal with old forum posts

I agree with you Sebastian,

but the general approach would be, user searches for something & found relevant, they top up a Reply to the same thread.

It has a Positive & Negative:

Positive: All who responded to that old message can check out that someone  responded back to one of their thread. (Notify me when some one responds...!!)

Negative: No one want to Reply on the threads which are already fixed, solved, or may be very old, Who cares, plenty are in Queue. to be Fired Off..!!

If same topic , "N" threads also make the Forum, cumbersome & Messy. too many duplicate threads, people who search for results, ends up in empty Replies, possibility though..!!

A Fair process would be to "Start a New thread" only, but will see what others foresee too?

You can count on me, I am with you.

(If this helped, accept as solution )
(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer)
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I could go crazy when people respond to forum posts created years ago.

I'm not sure I see a problem here.  If it is on topic, that's probably the right place.

If not, just ask the moderators to split it off (and its replies) and possibly rename the subject.

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

One way to make this work would be to copy the URL of the "old" post, begin a new post, and at the top of the new post, input a line like "To find background information on this topic, please see this post." (Simulated link text). You would then associate the URL of the old post with the text. A search should also bring up both posts.

warren_80x80.jpgThanks,
Warren_Admin, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community Manager
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and should not be interpreted as official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Damodar-Reddy
Honored Contributor

Well, 

That's a Good Idea, though, but people mostly "New Member" cader will be doing so & cannot expect the policies from new registrations.

May be existing members can rethink of doing it. The only constraint is to not to break the thread of very useful information & many duplications on the same topic.

(If this helped, accept as solution )
(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer)
RF2
Frequent Visitor

Hello Dennis,

Speaking of moderators, can you tell me how to contact the moderator(s) directly? I'm trying to reduce the number of accounts I have here in the HPE forums.

Thanks. Hope all is well with you.

Make a great day!

Roger

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>can you tell me how to contact the moderator(s) directly? I'm trying to reduce the number of accounts I have here in the HPE forums.

I doubt moderators can even do that.  You need admins.

See Warren's excellent post on how to contact:

http://community.hpe.com/t5/General-Feedback-and-Suggestions/Community-Categories/m-p/6897231#U6897231