Feedback
1748180 Members
4065 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I Google it comes to this website then can't find anything related to my Google search?

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: I Google it comes to this website then can't find anything related to my Google search?

Bill wrote:

"Even thou Goodle is a tool, we can not speed up the indexing. With regards to search functionality what are you having problems finding on the HP sites? Perhaps I can help you."

It's easy Bill.

Just tag each old migrated post with with it's old ITRC threadid. 

Or stick it in the text or subject if you have to: [itrc=1234567]

I think that would help a lot.

It could help even more, if I could indicate to search for a tag, but for now it is not clear to me how to do that!?

Where is the 'By Tag' filter?

Is there and 'escape' in the search string like gmails:  inbox:xxx or subject:yyy, or googles +x -y

Hein

KathyL1
Valued Contributor

Case in point:

I used Google to search forums11.itrc.hp.com for information about defining disk layout version in LVM and, in the results list, is a link to a post made in LVM and VXVM board June 2010 (attachment 1).

The link to the thread is: [Broken link removed on 03-23-2017 by Admin]

Unfortunately the Google cached information is not available so I searched the whole Community for the exact phrase 'define disk layout' but got zero results.

I then browsed the LVM and VXVM board with the board option set to 'Sort by latest post' but, the topic I am trying to find is simply not there (attachment 2).

Very frustrating!!

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Hmm, I couldn't find it either.

BGroot
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I also couldn't find it, I will do some research on this on why you can't find this specific post as we have migrated all ITRC data into the community. I can imagine that this is frustrating and I apologize for the inconvenience.

The links in Google should be redirecting to the specific post in the community, if this is not the case then we need to find out why this is not happening.

As I mentioned I will look into the matter and get back to you.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The links in Google should be redirecting to the specific post in the community,

Ideally in the future?  Or right now, even the top ones pointing to the old ITRC URLs?

Using the following finds the current topic:

"defining disk layout version" site:h30499.www3.hp.com

Unfortunately it finds an empty page 2 which is even more confusing:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/I-google-it-comes-to-this-website-then-can-t-find-anything/td-p/4809981/page/2

BGroot
Esteemed Contributor

I saw that when you go to

[Broken link removed on 03-23-2017 by Admin], it doesn't find that right information. As I mentioned I will look into this and get back once I found something.

Zinky
Honored Contributor

Well.. what can we say:

Oracle did it.

Redhat did it.

and now, HP.

Good Luck 'yall.

Hope HP goes back to the old simple fast (even if imperfect) Forums platform.

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I saw that when you go to ... , it doesn't find that right information

It looks like it is now going to a more detailed redirect page.

KathyL1
Valued Contributor

And another one ...

I used Google to search hp.com for information about 'cannot install Oracle' and, in the results list, is a link to a topic posted in the Databases board in February 2007 (attachment 1).

The link to the thread is: [Broken link removed on 03-23-2017 by Admin]

Even though the Google cached information was available this time (attachment 2) I also searched the whole Community for the exact title of the topic (ie, Oracle 10gR2 - problems with installation) but it was not returned in the resuts list (I sorted by date to confirm - attachment 3).

I then browsed the Databases board with the board option set to 'Sort by latest post' but, onceagain, the topic I am trying to find is not there (attachment 4) and I even checked for the date the topic was started (attachment 5).

Thanks goodness (this time) for Google cache!

TimWarren
Advisor

I have had the same issue where a google search for an article points to a post on the ITRC forum that do not exist on the new Community.

I have always used google to find ITRC posts as the old HP search was a waste of time - it didn't search across platforms or different forums - and often had 0 results for even basic search terms.

The new search is just as bad - you can always filter 1000's of results to find what you are looking for, but how do you filter 0 results???

Perhaps HP should invest in a google appliance and index the support forums properly, or at least make sure that the old content is on this new site - even if it is in an Archive link??

I guess most people on here have support contracts, i wonder if we can get a refund due to the lack of suport?