1748126 Members
3432 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Lost Google Links and Crummy HP Site

bjones7
Visitor

Lost Google Links and Crummy HP Site

Can someone at a billion dollar company like HP not figure out how to do 302 redirects so the Google links still work? Worst yet, the "Search" button on these forums is a joke.

9 REPLIES 9
BGroot
Esteemed Contributor

Try adding "site:http://h30499.www3.hp.com" until the old links vanished from Google cache..

What are you looking for? Perhpas I can help locate it for you.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>not figure out how to do 302 redirects

But how to do them for ~2.5 million posts?

If you are searching in google, if you add "site:h30499.www3.hp.com" you won't find the old ones.

bjones7
Visitor

At my last job we had millions of article that needed 302's. Our SEO and developers worked on this and resolved it. Get the old articles de-indexed and the new ones indexed. I just tried searching on cpqsinfo.mib on the "new site" and gave up. Search is pretty much useless. BTW - I got another "Survey" prompt and got the "An email will be sent soon" message. Never received any email from yesterday so this is probably broken as well.

TomSmith
Regular Advisor

Guys, I know you are trying to help by suggesting individual help with searches and adding the "site:" preface to Google searches, so I am not trying to knock you, but the fact that you have to respond like this indicates a serious problem with the new site.

Please tell us what is being done to solve this problem. HP needs to publish a plan to fix this mess.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I just tried searching on cpqsinfo.mib on the "new site" and gave up.

A site Community search finds 11 entries.

google finds 9.   cpqsinfo.mib site:h30499.www3.hp.com

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Bill:

Perhaps the information of how to use Google ought be high-lighted somewhere near the internal search button on every page.

I will concede that the new search engine is a great improvement over what the old ITRC one delivered (or more usually, not).  That's not the whole answer in my opinion.

I think that there are two polar groups of ITRC/HPSC users.  The first are frequent trollers of the community and/or those of us who contribute daily.  This group knows some of the nuances of searching discussed so frequently now and doesn't need to ask nor comment much more.

The second group of users have probably never read about the new URL for searching the HPSC with Google,  All they remember is that the old ITRC search was an abject failure whereas Google would find anything.

Using the new HPSC is quite a bit more daunting than the minimalistic, clean layout that the ITRC offered.

Little changes and little offerings can make a hugh difference in the perception of HP at this time.

Regards!

...JRF...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Perhaps the information of how to use Google ought be high-lighted somewhere near the internal search button on every page.

I asked Kevin_Paul to add it to the ITRC redirect page.

>I will concede that the new search engine is a great improvement over what the old ITRC one delivered

It seems it knows immediately when things are added.

>Using the new HPSC

More accurately, this is the EBC forum and has nothing to do with the HPSC.  Unlike the ITRC where they were joined at the hip.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Dennis Handly wrote:

>Perhaps the information of how to use Google ought be high-lighted somewhere near the internal search button on every page.

I asked Kevin_Paul to add it to the ITRC redirect page.

>I will concede that the new search engine is a great improvement over what the old ITRC one delivered

It seems it knows immediately when things are added.

>Using the new HPSC

More accurately, this is the EBC forum and has nothing to do with the HPSC.  Unlike the ITRC where they were joined at the hip.

Dennis:

> I asked Kevin_Paul to add it to the ITRC redirect page.

Nice to have an inside channel ;-)

> [ the internal search ] seems it knows immediately when things are added.

That doesn't impress me.  Google would find new posts within minutes at least.

> More accurately, this is the EBC forum

OK, more FUD and fractionization, but thanks for that correction.

Regards!

...JRF...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>> I asked Kevin_Paul to add it to the ITRC redirect page.

>Nice to have an inside channel ;-)

I just sent him a PM.  ;-)