Feedback
1752320 Members
5786 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New Format

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: New Format (bad gateway, Quick links)

>Bad Gateway: This is such a generic error message (think "unspecified error") that it can be caused by a server mis-communication, an overfull cache - on the server or on your system - or even a malformed cookie. The usual "clear your cache and cookies" sometimes fixes this

Then why not say all of this?

>The width of the forum windows: We have deployed a wider window for our blogs, and initial feedback is positive, so we are working on a similar update for your forums.

Has anyone requested wider windows on the discussion boards?  Let the bloggers have what they want and leave the boards alone.

>Navigation: One of the new functionalities coming soon is a full, easy to use site map.

Has anyone looked at the "Quick Links" menu?

The only one that works is the Community FAQ one.  All of the others point back to the current page, with a "#" added to the end of the URL.

Under "User Settings" there are similar but fewer dead links.

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

... and where is my 'floated boards' list?

One useful think of all changes just can't be seen anymore.

My wanted boards are still 'floated' but there's no list I can use.

HP DO your job, please!

V.

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

>> While some sites have "keep me logged in" buttons, they may be less secure than we would like to think.

Have you read "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller? There's a thread where Milo Minderbinder starts to get people to sign loyalty oaths. This escalates to the point where everyone needed to sign one for clearance to do just about anything, down to using the latrine.

We laugh at the blatant absurdity in the story, but now we're living the reality, and HP somehow thinks this is reasonable or even justifiable?

The security of my desktop is MY concern. It's not yours to impose your ideas on how I should run my system. It's not as if ITRC has access to any financial accounts, or anything of any real importance. Why do you insist that I have to type my password everytime I want to do anything with it? I've typed my ITRC password more times this week (and it's only Tuesday) than I did for the first FIVE YEARS of ITRC contributions. In all that time the password has been the same. I'm fairly certain that no one has ever compromised it, or even considered stealing it. Why would they bother? This isn't the crown jewels!

Maybe the use iof black text on a black background is also HPs idea of "security"?

Overzealous policies in the name of increasing security are often counterproductive. I could well imagine people being tempted to reduce the length of their password to the minimum requirments.

You say you're listening. How about stopping trying to make things flashy and pretty and just make things WORK? Starting with copy and paste that behaves like every other text window on the planet. Next would be to make windows that render properly, have readable text and don't jump around

> IE6 issue: This may be related to a plug-in.

And that absolves HP? Which plug in? How do I fix it? I get the same symptom Hein describes in IE8.

Another option which the rapid decline in the flow of posts would suggest most folk are taking is to just give up and leave.

A crucible of informative mistakes
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

HP, I was trying, really I was, to make the most out of the new format....this "upgrade" really makes it wonder if its worth it now?  What is in store next quarter? Keep your fluff in your pillows please.

As JRF states, the problems and issues have been told here again and again.  Im just voicing my displeasure here.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

I don't mean to sound radical, but if the primary reason for having a
single sign-on for multiple purposes (purchasing, paid support, user
forums, ...) was user convenience, then it may have been a fundamental
mistake.  If some user tasks require significant security ("Here, take
all my money.") while others require almost none ("Yes, these opinions
are my opinions."), then it may make very little sense to demand the
same (maximally strict) security for all these tasks.

Assuming that a one-hour time-out actually improves security, then a
less stupid scheme might, for example, have a one-hour time-out for
privileged tasks (like, say, spending money), while allowing
"Who-cares?" tasks like participation in user forums to persist
indefinitely, as with the previous (generally superior) forum system.
If someone at some time wants to perform some privileged task, and he
hasn't provided any credentials for a while, then he could be asked to
re-verify before allowing him access to the company store.

Of course, with all the fundamental mistakes involved in this whole
abominable forum conversion, it would have been easy for this particular
one to get lost.

> [...] HP somehow thinks this is reasonable or even justifiable?

HP apparently thinks that the new (randomly selected) user pictures
are so shiny that no one will care about the actual functionality (or
lack thereof).  Which may be true for the majority of the remaining
users.

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Perspective: Last Wednesday in several local papers in northern Colorado was an article about a local "multiplex" theater (that's not the name) whose customer database was hacked. One piece of user data they collected was credit card numbers. Accounts on well known social media sites are compromised - repeatedly. So web sites running the gamut from those where money is exchanged to those showing pictures of our dogs and sharing favorite jokes all require some level of security, probably more than they have. One of the problems with security is that it seems like a "yes or no" question, to paraphrase Steven. I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

One of my own pet peeves is the number of user names and passwords, all with different length and strength requirements, that I have to maintain to get into the myriad of web sites I use in my daily life, both work and home. Certainly single-sign-on solves part of that dilemma.

Thank you,
Warren_Admin, HP Enterprise Community Manager
Opinions are my own and not intended to represent HP

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: New Format (missing headers in profile)

I was looking at my profile and at the bottom I see two lists but they no longer have any titles!

Actually ALL three lists don't have titles, except for the columns:

Lists of recent post

List of recent kudos received

List of recent kudos given

If you are worried about vertical spacing, you could put the title on the View All line.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

@John.. violant agreement. As usual.

@ Steven.. agreed:

>> Assuming that a one-hour time-out actually improves security, then a
less stupid scheme might, for example, have a one-hour time-out for
privileged tasks (like, say, spending money), while allowing
"Who-cares?"

Yes,.

>> tasks like participation in user forums to persist
indefinitely, as with the previous (generally superior) forum system.
If someone at some time wants to perform some privileged task, and he
hasn't provided any credentials for a while, then he could be asked to
re-verify before allowing him access to the company store.

Right. Like other system where you may have to re-enter a password when you want to change the password.

Or a store site, where you can toss stuff in _your_ basket forever, but when it comes to 'commit' and pay, you need to re-enter a password.

Cheers,

Hein

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: New Format (floated board missing on main EBC forum)

>and where is my 'floated boards' list?

I don't remember this.  Was this on your profile?

It's still there under Subscriptions & Bookmarks > Bookmarks, with type == topic.

It does appear on each category page but no longer on the main EBC forum page.  :-(

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Another thing I noticed on items that contain categories and blogs is that you have a separate list of boards and blogs.  Unfortunately, if you are gullible click on blogs you get the same category page that you have with category.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Partner-Solutions/ct-p/partner_solutions

Not sure if there are blog only categories where this may be useful clicking?