1751804 Members
4992 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New Forums Site Map

Stephan.
Honored Contributor

New Forums Site Map

As addition to the mapping from old ITRC tree to the new forums I created a complete forums list, perhaps it is handy for someone that cannot find the right forum.

Please find it as attachment.

Additional I hope HP takes it as a reason for some consolidations, some examples:

• naming convention
  • notation variations
  • double forums
  • reorganization categories

If helpful or needed I can provide some more details.

Best,

Stephan

13 REPLIES 13
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Thanks for the details and effort.

BGroot
Esteemed Contributor

Nice job Stephan. Thanks for creating this. I know we have some double forums especially in the HP Software and Solutions area, but we wanted to make sure that the ITRC forums stayed recognizable to ITRC members when we migrated it over as we already had some support forums on specific products in the community.

We will be evaluating the forums in a few months to see what makes sense and we will look for feedback from our members as they are the ones using the forums.

Any feedback you can provide is appreciated.

Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the feedback, after finding out the limits of a single post it was quite some work. Perhaps it is possible to stick this thread as the other one to the top.

Please find attached some suggestion as I would expect/find more useful/... the structure of the forums.

I did it not for all 502 Categories/forums/blogs due to the fact that looked like a bit overkill to me. ;-)

I'm pretty sure you get my idea of the layout. Regarding the idea to keep all ITRC forums, this is very welcome but in my opinion you have now anyway the whining and bitching' due the migration - want it again if you change the structure in some months? You made the big bang now, make it transparent f.e. with a map like suggested from me and realized by Michael Leu which ITRC forum belongs to which new one.

Best,

Stephan

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Please find attached some suggestion

I disagree with your suggestion of having General first.  This encourages users to be sloppy and to put the topic there rather than to have them think.  And then they need to be moved to the proper board, which causes more work for me and the admins.

I.e. General should be last, except for those obsolete boards.

Your new topics for OS may have lots of complaints.  I don't see the catch all Sysadmin.

And worse of all, how are you going put the old topics in the new organization?

And of course I don't like Languages and scripting changed to Scripting & Development.  ;-)

Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Hi Dennis,

with 'general' I agree to your point that it should not be first to get everybody posting in the right forum, I'm not even happy with the name 'General' - so if you already call System Administration the catch all forum perhaps merging them under the name System Administration would be another idea or some completly new name ... 

Regardings the old topics, I would simply move them to the new structure but not in some months.

As mentioned at the moment we have 502 Forums/Categories/Blogs here around, that is a way too much (my opinion), there are so many categogeries which contain a subcategory which contains a forum which contains 7 posts for example.

Overall it's all only a suggestion or something I would personaly like to see or prefer, I don't claim that this is the one and only perfect solution.

Best,

Stephan

BGroot
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dennis and Stephan,

Appreciate your feedback. We will never be able to satisfied everyone, this is impossible, but we need to consider the feedback and see if we can find a solution which can be accepted by the members.

I will discuss it with the team. In the mean time if you have other suggestions please let us know.

Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Hi BGroot,

so 3 months later, did anything come of these team discussions?

IMHO lots of good suggestions floating around here but no one at HP who can actually change stuff at the technical level...

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

> so 3 months later, did anything come of these team discussions?

Yeah - they all had a good laugh and went on with their regular plans.

Pete
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Ah, so it seems something is in the works...

HP wrote below their huge join banner:

We heard you! - Community redesign coming soon. Learn more