1748035 Members
4808 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Problem with smiley code in posts

KathyL1
Valued Contributor

Problem with smiley code in posts

I hate to be a pain but would please either fixup the way certain text strings are interpreted or disable smileys.

Apart from the fact that the current interpretation of certain text strings changes them into something meaningless a colon character followed by the letter 'o' in the chown command should not really be all that shocking!!

chown oracle:oinstall (owner oracle, group oinstall)

Some others (and there are probably more)

colon ( -->  :(

colon ) --> :)

colon P --> :P

colon D --> :D

Kathy

9 REPLIES 9
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Problem with smiley code in posts

You can pop the text into a Code block.  It's that "Insert Code" with a big "C" on it.

Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

This depends on your profile settings, try Preferences / Display / Emoticon type: none.

See also the thread New forum and emoticon.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

The fundamental problem I see with emoticons in this community is that many members may not konw that they can turn off the auto-generation in their profile.  Thus, unless they *think* about using a code block for even a one-line snippet of code we get *trash*.

Instead of auto-generating the cute little icons why not have a toolbar (or whatever) from which to explicitly *choose* to insert the emoticon?

Regards!

...JRF...

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

James - thanks for the input.  We're looking at our options here - we'll see if we can make this a better experience for everyone.

I work for HPE.
KathyL1
Valued Contributor

My comments related to posts that were migrated from ITRC but obviously this issue affects all posts.

I've turned off smileys/emoticons in my profile (Preferences / Display / Emoticon type: none) and this has fixed the display issue.  Seems to me this should be the default setting for a forum like this.

Good thing is I can still use (and see) emoticons added via the message formatting options bar.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your help.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>we get *trash*.

You also get trash if you used <> in your C source or XML examples in the ITRC.

KathyL1
Valued Contributor

Actually I've just discovered that the preferences fix only works if you're logged in - if you visit the forum as a guest (which happens every time your session times out) you still have to put up with the emoticons in the posts.

As such, this problem is not solved.

Juan de Los Palotes
Frequent Advisor

I believe that on a Technical forum you have to us emoticons, to do that you can go to facebook, or something else. But this new support site of HP really is a poor quality compare with the old ITRC

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Wanted to call everyone's attention to a post about a poll we're running on this very topic - please see http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/Poll-running-on-emoticons-graphical-vs-text-based/td-p/4831057

I work for HPE.