1753428 Members
4830 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

11.31 hostname change issue

Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

11.31 hostname change issue

Greetings, running hp-ux 11.31 on PA-RISC rp7420. I was shown a way to change the hostname on 11.31 by 1) editing the /etc/hosts file with the new name, 2) editing the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf with the new name then running /sbin/init.d/hostname start. I have done this several times in the past now, but recently, the hostname is not changed doing this. A uname or hostname command shows the original hostname. If I run set_parms hostname though, it indicates the hostname has already changed and I have the option to keep it or change it. Either way - after running set_parms, the name really is changed - as verified by uname and hostname.

More curious - I can revert to the original hostname with the initial procedure (ending with /sbin/init.d/hostname start) and do not need to run set_parms.

Can someone explain this behavior?  thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: 11.31 hostname change issue

What is the length of the new hostname? Is it longer than the old one? Longer than 8 characters?

Old versions of HP-UX had a hostname length limit of 8 characters. Then it became possible to extend the hostname beyond 8 characters, but if you did that, you had to also specify a 8-characters-or-less version as a "nodename", to be used by UUCP utilities and possibly other legacy stuff. When the hostname was 8 characters or less, the convention was for the nodename to be automatically set equal to the hostname.

In 11.31, even the nodename can be extended beyond 8 characters, but you must activate certain configuration options to do so. It's possible that set_parms includes the functionality to make the necessary configuration changes automatically, while the other ways to change the hostname do not.

MK
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

the length of the new hostname was 7 chars, the old was 6 chars

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

If you look at what the /sbin/init.d/hostname script is doing, it is first sourcing the configuration files within the /etc/rc.config.d/ as specified by /etc/rc.config.  This will get the HOSTNAME value from the netconf file.

(Do you happen to have multiple 'netconf*' files in the /etc/rc.config.d directories?)

This value is passed to the 'hostname' and 'uname -S' commands to set the name of the host.

Run the following to show what the hostname script is doing:

# sh -x /sbin/init.d/hostname start

Look for the line HOSTNAME=xxxxxxx and then the commands being used.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!