New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ability to switch workspaces on CDE with modified Xdefaults

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Rainer
Occasional Advisor

Ability to switch workspaces on CDE with modified Xdefaults

Hello

I run a application from a CDE. The application requires a ~user/.Xdefaults for its specific fonts. My problem is that I lose the ability to move windows between workspaces (Available on a standard CDE). I have tried adding the ~user/.dt/dtwmrc copied from the /usr/dt/config/C/sys.dtwmrc, but that didn't help.

How can I add the properties that allow me to change workspaces to my CDE windows.

thanks

Eric

4 REPLIES 4
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

are you saying that if your application is located in workspace (ws) one and you right click the border -> Occupy Workspace :

a) doesn't appear

b) doesn't give a list of the available w/s

c) does but fails

d) other ?

O/S and patch levels wrt CDE ?
Is root affected ?
contents of .Xdefaults file and application name (as from command line invocation) ?

Also has this ever worked ? and is it true to say if the .Xdefaults file is removed the problem persists ..... I'm wondering if this functionality needs to be handled in the coding of the application as well as the window manager .....

Eric Rainer
Occasional Advisor

Hello Alex

On your questions and hopefully this will
clarify it:

(q)
are you saying that if your application is located in workspace (ws) one and you right click the border -> Occupy Workspace :
(a)
a) doesn't appear. I have attached a screen shot. The border is different.

(q)
O/S and patch levels wrt CDE ?
(a)
HP-UX 11.0 - swlist is attached

(q)
Is root affected ?
No as only the applicaton users which belong to a application group have the modified .Xdefaults in their home directory.

(q)
contents of .Xdefaults file and application name (as from command line invocation) ?

The application is run from a menu on the CDE.
I have attached the .Xdefaults as well. The application is a network management GUI, and so need specified font types.

(q)
Also has this ever worked ? and is it true to say if the .Xdefaults file is removed the problem persists ..... I'm wondering if this functionality needs to be handled in the coding of the application as well as the window manager .....

If I remove the Xdefaults from the users home directory,the border will then have the occupy workspace choice. The problem then is the application is missing some of the required fonts with the result some screens are the wrong size etc.

I was looking for a way to regain the occupy workspace choice on the CDE.

thanks

Eric

Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor
Solution

Been v.busy last week or so, so my appologies for looking into this quickly ....

my thoughts

a) this may be a v.customised CDE env,the application vendors have created resources to allow thier application to intergrate with the window manager ... have you spoken to them about this ?

b) CDE patch is old - sept 2000 but functionality seems to be affected by .Xdefaulyts entries over riding normal behaviour

c) you could try removing resources out of .Xdefaults is an attempt to narrow which breaks
the desired functionality - time consumming.

d) My bet would be to take a look at the Dtwm resources (Desktop workspace manager) ones in particular

Dtwm*configFile: /nms/nmc/instnmc/MV36v12.1/U_INFO/NMC.cdewmrc

fyi $HOME/.dt/dtwmrc is where you'd customise your CDE menu's normally, file is cp'd from /usr/dt/config/C/sys.dtwmrc
Eric Rainer
Occasional Advisor

Hello Andy

Thanks for the reply -
I ended commmenting out the Dtwm and narrowed it down to the
Dtwm*windowMenu DefaultWindowMenu

I have the extra border back, I just have to run through and see if the application is ok, but it looks good.

thanks

Eric