5318 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Autosys Vs Control-M

Prabhu_9
Occasional Advisor

Autosys Vs Control-M

Hi,
We need to propose a scheduler software to our client.We are thinking of either Autosys or Control-M. Do Someone have evaluation/comparison document of these softwares. Advantgaes and disadvantages between two of them etc..

Which one to use and why ---this is the kind of presentation we need to show to our client.
9 REPLIES 9
paolo barila
Valued Contributor

Autosys will use "open source Ingres" database...
share share share
Prabhu_9
Occasional Advisor

any document avabl which shows comparison between these 2?
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

A simple google search came up with a few hits:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Control+M+verses+Autosys

First one (even though its blocked here) states:
Whither Autosys?They put me on a team to evaluate AutoSys vs. Maestro, having heard that AutoSys might ... Can anyone tell me the difference between Control-M and Autosys. ...

I'm guessing if you pick through some of those links from the search you can find some information.
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

Heres a good article called Job Schedulers
Getting the Job Done.

:
http://www.networkcomputing.com/story/singlePageFormat.jhtml?articleID=159903437

Hi,

If the customer is also a user of HP Openview Operations (OVO), you might also want to look at Dollar Universe from ORSYP, as this is integrated with OVO.

http://h20229.www2.hp.com/partner/isv/ORSYP_prod1.jsp

http://www.orsyp.com/

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I used to administer boxes with one of both, I won't tell which one, and the price of the licence was so high it was ridiculous. It was almost more expensive than the server itself. But we basically had no choice since the whole shop was running on this scheduler.

The only thing I can suggest you do first is enquire not only about features but about the pricing, especially long-term. Try to squeeze your reseller or vendor into getting a contract that will last a while, or whatever can be done to prevent being chewed off once you're locked in with thousands of jobs and can't switch to another product.

Olivier
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

I have a pretty good idea which one Olivier was talking about pricewise. Everytime I mention about needing another server license I get to hear about it from management.
That being said, I've heard they changed the way they price it out to make it more appealing I guess.

I guess the pros:
Just from working with Autosys the last few places I've worked. It's easy to configure the server once the shell of a database is created.

Installation of the client is just as easy.

If for some reason your dialed in on a lowspeed connection, the commands are easy to use and easy to manipulate jobs.

Oracle adapter is easy to use, nothing special needs to be added other then one binary.

AS400 adapter is easy to configure from the unix side (if that is where your going to run it). I'm not sure how easy the client is to install since I've never worked on an AS400.

Cons for us were:
Price.

Grainularity of security. We wish you could do more, without having to install their E-Trust package. I believe at one time was SeOS. Which seems like overkill considering the original software package was to secure OS commands. When the only small piece we wanted to use was to secure who can do what with which jobs.

Jagdishgg

I have started development of a tool like control M,similar scheduling automation tool. This will be cheaper version for smaller businesses. Anyone interested or need details.Please let me know.

Also you can provide your feedback on product.

Origin

@Prabhu_9 wrote:
any document avabl which shows comparison between these 2?