1748245 Members
3800 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Bios Error

Davenlr
Occasional Visitor

Bios Error

I have a new Phoenix i7 desktop, and have three drives installed.   When I turn on the computer, about 75% of the time, bios comes up and says "Imminent disk failure Sata 3 Smart error 0"  Pless F1 to boot.

Hitting F1 does nothing...Control/Alt/Del reboots, which is usually successful.

Have run several Smart tests on the third drive, and all smart codes are normal.

Crystaldiskinfo shows all disks are GOOD.

What am I missing?   I cant even locate a Smart error code 0.  They seem to start with 1.

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Bios Error

Is there a BIOS setting that could be changed to give the disks more time to spin up at boot?

Perhaps your #3 disk just takes a longer time to spin up than the BIOS is willing to wait by default.

Alternatively, it might be a BIOS bug. If there are BIOS updates available for your particular desktop model, read the release notes of the update(s). If they say anything about fixing a false SMART error or changing the disk spin-up times, then you might consider updating the BIOS.

To find the correct BIOS updates for your model, you will need the complete model designation of your desktop. "Phoenix i7" is not it: after a bit of Googling, I guess the full name might be something like "HP ENVY Phoenix 810-1n0xx" where "n" is some number and "x"s are some lower-case letters.It should be visible on a label somewhere on the desktop, possibly at the back.

Go to http://www.hp.com/go/support and then select "Drivers and Downloads". Type in the model name (or part of it): if your model designation is ambiguous, the next page will display all the models matching what you typed.

For BIOS updates, it is very important that you choose the correct update for your exact model. Installing a wrong BIOS update can make the system unusable without expert help or motherboard swap. (Often, but not always, the update program will verify that it's being installed to the correct model and stop without doing anything if the model is not correct - but it's better not to rely on that.)

MK