1753589 Members
6718 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

CDE problems

Chelsea Matej
Occasional Contributor

CDE problems

I have been recieving the error 'the desktop messaging system could not be started. To correct the problem ...'. I have reviewed some of the other messages in this forum and followed the instructions in the Technical Knowledge Base document # KBRC00000036. I have run dr_dt and have been able to correct all the warnings except 2.

The log states that the / directory has the wrong permissions and ownership. I change it from drwxr_xr_x root:sys to dr_xr_xr_r bin:bin. I run dr_dt again and this time the log states that the / directory should be changed back to the original permissions and ownership. how do I resolve this loop?

The 2nd problem is /usr/dt/bin/xmbind and /usr/dt/bin/suid_exec are missing. According to the log CDE will not start w/o these files. Only 1 of our other servers is running HPUX 11.0 and these files do not exist there either. CDE works fine on that box.

The command line login and everything seems to be in working order except the CDE. I really want to resolve this problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Re: CDE problems

On my servers the / directory has permissions of 755 and root:root ownership.

# ll -d .
drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 1024 Feb 14 14:44 .
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...