Operating System - HP-UX
1751817 Members
5507 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: EOL for ux versions (mostly interested in v2)

john guardian
Super Advisor

EOL for ux versions (mostly interested in v2)

I thought that 11.23 was EOL this OCT or DEC (2103).

All the docs I've located say the following: Obsolescence for v2 is 2010. So what REALLY is obsolescence (vs EOL)?

I also found this: "Previous Version Support with Sustaining Engineering (PVS w SE) will be offered for HP-UX 11i v1
and 11i v2 for the period 1st Jan 2014 to 31st Dec 2015".

Does the above require a "special" support contract in order to receive "special" support not offered to the general non-paying public?

It seems that the term "EOL" has either evaporated or has reached its own END-OF-LIFE.

Anyone? Need this info as soon as I can get it for budget planning. We have several v2 systems that no one wants to upgrade.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Check this link:

http://www.hp.com/softwarereleases/releases-media2/history/slide2.html

11iv2 has factory support until the end of 2015.

john guardian
Super Advisor

The"link" is where I got my original info from, so no help there.

john guardian
Super Advisor

AGAIN, about the "Previous Version Support with Sustaining Engineering (PVS w SE)".

What does this mean and is it "special" support that needs to be purchased?

Do I need to talk to a contract support rep to get a simple answer?

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Are you sure we're looking at the same thing here?

I'm seeing that HP-UX 11iv2 is end of factory support in 2015.

I'm seeing nothing about the verbiage you mention in the link I provided.  

>>Do I need to talk to a contract support rep to get a simple answer?

Probably, though with HP the answer is rarely simple.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> What does this mean and is it "special" support that needs to be purchased?

Historically, this is how HP supports obsolete versions for customers. And historically, it is usually very expensive.

The EOL for 11.11 as well as 11.23 is (now) 2015. Previous HP websites posted 2013 but was recently updated. 

Note that the new patch count for 11.11 is dwindling rapidly, less than 10 since last year and all were fairly benign.  11.23 has more but it will likely wind down over the next year or so. 

One of the questions to ask is: what do I need as far as support? Is it how-to questions? Or fixing some complicated LVM problem? Is support needed to meet audit requirements? Is it needed to analyze crashes?

In some cases, older OS versions are quite stable. There are lots of production systems running 11.0 and even 10.20. Of course there are no fixes for new problems but if the systems were kept up to date years ago, things should be stable. Where older systems fall apart is migration -- storage, new tape drives, new backup software, new databases, new security requirements, etc.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin