1753779 Members
7770 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error message

Sean OB_1
Honored Contributor

Error message

I'm trying to get the OS SPI's running on some servers and one of them is giving me a problem.

Here is the output from the discovery log file.

Wed Nov 13 12:12:05 CST 2002
Discovery started.
Nodes: server.company.com waiting...failed.
Error opctranm: Cannot send request to subagents (index ITO) on node server.company.com. (OpC40-443)
General error during Common Agent bulk transfer.
Check agent and server logfile for more info. (OpC40-465)
The receiving server on node 'server.company.com' failed to process a bulk transfer request. Error code was: '16' (OpC20-2923)
Can't send action request to execute remote installation script to Request Handler. (OpC40-737)

ERROR: Discovery Server done with errors. Look into /var/opt/OV/share/osspi/log/discovery.log for more information.
See also the discovery logs on these nodes for details:
server.company.com

(note: server name was changed for customer privacy).

I do not have access to this node and cannot log onto to it to check the discovery log on the node.

Searches of itrc, support.openview and google come up with nothing. Has anyone seen this before I call support on it?

5 REPLIES 5
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Have you made sure that all the required inetd services are running (login, shell, exec)?

If you do not access to the system, but have access to the OVO management system, you can set up an application to do a "more /etc/inetd.conf".

HTH
Marty
Sean OB_1
Honored Contributor

login, shell and exec should not need to be running in order to push out the SPI's and run them.

In fact on all other machines none of those are running and I was able to run the OS-SPI discovery fine on those machines.

Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Have you tried recycling the OVO agent on the node? Sometimes components of the Agent stop working properly and the Agent needs to be recycled.

HTH
Marty
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Sean,

I'd suspect that your initial connection to that server is being blocked.

Check the following ports for accessibility to that server:

69/UDP (tftp)
512/TCP (rexec)
513/TCP (rlogin)
514/TCP (rcmds)

Just try to telnet to the box on those ports & see if the request hangs (being blocked) or is refused (Inetd.conf or inetd.sec on remote server)

I'm not sure which the opctranm uses. But your job would certainly be easier if you could access that server to check it's logs.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Sean OB_1
Honored Contributor

Marty,

I have stopped and restarted the agents (except control agent) on the node several times with no change.

Jeff,

Those services are not allowed on this machine, and in fact not on any of the machines that are monitored at this site. According to HP, and from what I have seen, they are not needed except during the initial installation of the agent, and not needed at all if you do a manual install of the agent.