New Discussion юеВ

Re: Filesystem space - BDF report

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thirumalai Ulaganathan
Occasional Advisor

Filesystem space - BDF report

Hi,

bdf output shows as below. When i compare with used and available space the free space
available amount is wrong.

Please help to find out where the remaining space go and how the system report its 100% full.

fs kbytes used avl %used

prod 4099465 3689521 0 100%

Thanks
Thirumalai
5 REPLIES 5
Tom Danzig
Honored Contributor

Some space is reserved for file system overhead. This is normal.
John Bolene
Honored Contributor
Solution

When a file system is created, 10% of the space is reserved for use by root.

This is so that when the file system reports 100% used, that root can get in and do something with it.

There will be times that print jobs, log files, and other such variable data will consume most of the space. If root can't get in to fix it, then there is not much that can be done.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Dan Bonham
Advisor

about 9-10% is used by the system and by LVM.

if you ever encounter a bdf reporting that you that you are using more than 100%, that mean the part of the filesystem has been corrupted and you'll need to run fsck.

Rusty
federico_3
Honored Contributor

About 10/% in hfs File systems is used for minfree and in vxfs ones the percentage is much smaller. You can see this using :
df -t

Federico
Keir Josephson

I just recently encountered an issue like this where a vxfs filesystem had filled to 100%. I cleared out about 1GB of space but the bdf command still showed that the filesystem was full. It turned out that the process that had slowly filled the filesystem over a period of several days needed to be killed. Once that was done, the bdf report reflected the new percentages.