New Discussion юеВ

Re: GDB on v5.1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mangus M├д├дtt├д
Occasional Advisor

GDB on v5.1

Hi!

I've been trying to get get gdb to work on Tru64 V5.1 for a looong time now. I've used the precompiled .rpm that you could download and I've tried several different versions of gdb including developement versions fetched from CVS.

The thing is that gdb coredumps, or just not doing anything except eating memory until the machine is out of memory and gdb dies with "cannot allocate xxxxxxxx bytes."
Sometimes I might get some information (but way to limited) if I use 3 different gdb's that I have installed.

I have also tried to compile it with both gcc and standard cc. I tried both compilers on all versions I have had installed.

I could probably use the included debugger (whatever it was called again), but since this machine was donated I don't have any licenses for anything and not really the money to buy any either. =/

The reason I need gdb is that I am in the PHP Quality Assurance Team and it would be really good for us to have an alpha to debug 64-bit and Tru64 related issues in PHP on.

Thanks in advice for any help or hint of any kind.
PHP5 QA | magnus@php.net | If I tell you that I don't know, I either don't know or I am to lazy to answer.
9 REPLIES 9
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Version 5.0-5.11 seems to be a little buggy.
Use the following links for more information:

If you are looking for an alternative:
http://www.compaq.com/products/software/ladebug/
worked just fine, no license required.

Read:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2001-05/msg00119.html
how to compile and what patches are necessary for gdb to run on Tru64. Build GNU gdb with the Tru64 UNIX /usr/bin/cc compiler and it will work.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

here you can find the binary files for the gnu development tools including gdb:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/affinity/gnupro.tar.gz (ca. 100MB)

Mangus M├д├дtt├д
Occasional Advisor

I have already tried gnupro package, and it didn't work.
Unless there is a newer version releases, I downloaded mine around christmas.

Ladebug *do* require a license.
It requires a DEV license, not to install, but to use it. I already had it installed..

GDB patches were obsolete against current head of gdb too..

With GDB from gnupro package I get:
Starting program: /usr/local/www/php4_3/bin/php -f crash.php
Error accessing memory address 0x300418098f0: Invalid argument.
PHP5 QA | magnus@php.net | If I tell you that I don't know, I either don't know or I am to lazy to answer.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Please check if the gnupackage is alredy the same version. There are many peoples working with gdb without a problem on V5.1A.

Check if you have installed the latest patchkit for V5.1A!

The named ladebug version doesn't need a license - it seems to be a special version.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

your problem is still open since 01/12/2003 in news conferences. Have you tried to debug another program or is error limited to php? (there are some infos about php problems with gdb)
Mangus M├д├дtt├д
Occasional Advisor

I don't have 5.1A, I have 5.1.
And I mirrored the whole FTP with patches, but I don't have the patch tool to install the patches =/

Yes, I have tried to debug other applications, MySQL for example.
And I made some other C applications that were supposed to crash, and that didn't work either, in some cases. But I don't have the source of them left anymore. I checked them against gdb on Linux and it worked fine there.

Hmm.. Ok, I will install ladebug that you can get from that URL, but from the URL:
"Ladebug for Tru64 UNIX is a licensed part of the Developers' Toolkit for Tru64 UNIX. For information about acquiring a valid Toolkit license"

I will try it anyway..
Mangus M├д├дtt├д
Occasional Advisor

The webserver where I'm supposed to download ladebug from is down, and have been that all day now..
Hopefully it will be fixed soon so I can get the new version. I found out that I was running an almost ancient version.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Magnus, you know that version 5.1 is still out of support? Version 5.1A and 5.1B are the last Tru64 versions.

If using Tru64 5.1A there should be no problem with gdb.
Mangus M├д├дtt├д
Occasional Advisor

Got ladebug installed now.
Works fine!

Thanks alot for the help.