Operating System - OpenVMS
1752794 Members
7277 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HOW DO I MOVE SNS WATCHDOG FROM ONE VMS SERVER TO ANOTHER ?

gunners
Frequent Advisor

HOW DO I MOVE SNS WATCHDOG FROM ONE VMS SERVER TO ANOTHER ?

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone can advise on moving SNS$WATCHDOG from one system to another (The software is already on the system I want to move it too) - just need to know what files I need to copy over with all the alerts and what files I need to 'startup' to get it working on the second node (it will be discontinued on the original node once I have it working as this server is being decomm'd)

Very hard to get any info on the web relating to this :(

3 REPLIES 3
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Re: HOW DO I MOVE SNS WATCHDOG FROM ONE VMS SERVER TO ANOTHER ?

The product, I think, was part of the purchase of Polycenter quite a few years ago by CA.  Are you trying to move a system's client or Watchdog server?  Oops, EXCUSE me.  Agent and Manager.  The product IS (or has become) part of Unicenter and those folk would be where I'd go for support.  I've installed and configured the product, uh, but the LAST time I had my hands on this software was 1996.  CA has, or appears to have, the software available for modern VMS and Itaniums.

From what I remember?  You had to do a full install of the Manager but I don't recall what datafiles were touched when you configured things nor did I know then (or now) if you can just take some .dat files and move them between nodes.  You might look around the disk where your Manager is installed to see what the SNS Watchdog startup files (in SYS$STARTUP) setup for logical names.  That should give you some hints where files live and what they're named.  You might also look around the Interweb to see if anyone has a set of the documentation online.  Really difficult to give you much factual info without knowing what VMS versions you're using and what Watchdog version you've got.  There should be some commonality with regard to the various versions with respect to configuration files.

bob

gunners
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bob ,

Many thanks for the reply. Yes the servers (the one I want to move the Watchdog to is an RX3600. As you say check startups etc . I have done  that on both nodes and also I see that most of the 'SNS' logicals are already set on the node I wish to move to (which tells me that perhaps at one point ths watchdog was actually running from this node in a previous period)

My feeling is that this is not a huge task - but sometimes its the simple ones that can trip us all up. I might try and contact CA and check if there is a simple method of transfer etc and as you say if by moving .dat config files from the Watchdog on the old node to this newer one (will this keep all the alerts that are currently in place etc)

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Checking with CA seems like the right path.  If you've already got the I64 Manager running on Itanium then you should have already jumped THAT particular hurdle.

If my memories were fresher (or from a different set of circumstances) I might have the info you require rattling around in my head.  Most of my Watchdog experience has been in environments where installing on a new system and reconfiguring from the ground up was much more common than trying to move a complex config between boxes to retain definitions.

bob