Insight Remote Support
1752579 Members
3934 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Insight Remote Support 7.0.5 in VM Cannot Register Hosting Device with HP...

kodena
Occasional Contributor

HP Insight Remote Support 7.0.5 in VM Cannot Register Hosting Device with HP...

As other users reported, initial 'check connectivity' works (HP Connection Status: Connected), but the Register Hosting Device repeatedly fails after 60 seconds with this error: "Unable to register with HP"

The log file UCARegistrationError_MsgId..... has this error:
Registration failed; Registration-Service warning: type 'ClientError'(100) Get GDID error; Failed to get GDID!

But I see the GDID in the config file UCARegistrationRequest_MsgId... file:
<Property name="GUID" value="....long-number....."

Tested in VM before going to production system. Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
EricL
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Insight Remote Support 7.0.5 in VM Cannot Register Hosting Device with HP...

Hi,

For a VM, this error is usually encountered if the software is unable to retrieve a serial number from the operating system.

If you look in the UCARegistrationRequest_MsgId, you should also see two Property entries for AutoDetectedSystemSerialNumber and ProductId.  If either of these are blank, that would cause the GDID failure you are seeing below. You should also see that the CoreSystemModel and Manufacturer properties reflect that this is a VMware instance.

Can you confirm that this is a VMware VM and, if so, what version of the product are you running?

Thanks,

Eric

I am an HP Employee.
NasaDave
Advisor

Unfortunately if you are using Hyper-V it may not work.

I have made several requests back in 5.x days. Even a developer request.
HP wouldn't give me a request number to rally other people into stating they want this feature.

HP has their thumb up their rear end about this problem.

It has to do with how the software verifies that it is installed on a "legitimate" server.
HP wants to make sure you install it on only HP Hardware.
Which is ridiculous since the service only supports HP Hardware and Contracts.

VMware they can pull the Hardware information.
Hyper-V they can NOT pull the Hardware information.

HP SIM supports running on Hyper-V. If they can do it, why can't Insight Remote Support?

EricL
Frequent Advisor

Well, I can say with certainty that HP Insight Remote Support doesn’t have any overarching plans against the use of Hyper-V or any other hypervisor - it is simply a matter of feature priority.  The reality is that Insight-RS does not pull hardware identifiers when run in a VM guest, but we do pull identifiers associated with the guest instance, which has to be done differently for each hypervisor vendor.  Ideally, we’d be able to interact with each type of hypervisor guest in the same way to pull the information we need, but the technologies haven’t reached this point yet and so extra development and testing is required for each additional vendor.

I appreciate the passion for Hyper-V.  I’m not sure what form of ‘request number’ you were looking for to rally support for this feature, but constructive discussions in the forum can certainly help boost the visibility and urgency for this type of feature.

Thanks,

Eric

I am an HP Employee.
Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

There are thousand people here that runs Hyper-v Hypervisor and honestly is not understandable this lack of support of Hyperv VMs .

I don't want to criticise your answer but it looks difficult to believe that is so difficult to get from a Hyperv VM  the same info you extract from an vmware VM

Thanks