Desktop running PM: Windows XP SP2
UPS: HP R3000 XR (HV)
- ver: 2.00
- Protocol: XCP
HP UPS Management card:
- firmware 1.20.08
- Hardware ver 1.00 A
Software: HP Power Manager 4.2.7

I can browse to the management card (by IP or DNS), login and see all the details etc however Power Manager can't see the UPS.
Configuring PM:
1) I select port 80 (card is configured to http on port 80)
2) I select Network
3) I enter the IP address of the UPS and the password for admin to login
4) It says "Trying: XCP" for 1-2 seconds
5) It says "Setup was unable to find a UPS device. Please check your connections and select Back to start again."

I had the same problem on two different PC's (both WinXP SP2). I've also tried PM ver 4.2.6 and 4.2.7 and doing a complete power reset of the UPS & mgmt card

Help?

MC
4 REPLIES 4
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: HP Power Manager 4.2.7 can not discover R3000 UPS

You mixed up between 2 products:
-HPPM 4.2.7 is an older Power Management Application, installd on a dedicated Server and connect to UPS through serial, or USB, or network (require an SNMP card). The PM server has one side talk to UPS and the other side to communicate with other protected servers via Remote Agents.
-HPMM has its Power Mangement application embedded in the module. So each protected server with a Power Protection Agent communicates to the module through either serial or network. The module has one side to communicate with UPS, the other side is with all protected servers.
Since you already has HPMM, go ahead install the Power Protection Agent on each protected server and read UserGuide how to setup and config new device...

Brian
mike548141
Occasional Contributor

Ah so in short I've gone the wrong direction. I'm with you know, dump HP Power Manager and proceed with the Power Protection Agents on all servers

A shame they don't have an agent for NetWare anymore (Yes people still use it)

MC
mike548141
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

So following your advice I uninstalled Power Manager 4.2.7 (then rebooted) and installed Power Protection Agent for Windows 5.0 (PPA).

I also used the flash tool (ver 2.0.5) to update the UPS management module from 1.20 to 2.0.09

PPA is running happily on the Windows XP SP2 host but it does not discover the UPS mgmt module when I leave the PPA on blank (auto-discover) or when I configure it with the IP address of the UPS

MC
mike548141
Occasional Contributor

Sorry please ignore me I was proving I'm an idiot again. I didn't reliase I needed to configure it as a attached device on the UPS mgmt module. When I thought about it, it makes sense