3873 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Server Console Switch G2 0x2x16 - AF618A

Spuddist
Occasional Contributor

HP Server Console Switch G2 0x2x16 - AF618A

Hi

I recently purchased a HP Server Console Switch G2 0x2x16 - AF618A.
I’ve hooked it up to the LAN no problem and it works fine. Just one issue.
When I’m in the Comms room and log onto the KVM though the keyboard and screen I can go to each of the server and start a KVM session.
But if I log onto the KVM from any machine and then go to the server I want to connect to then there’s no option for a KVM Session. Why is this?

Any help on this would be great thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Re: HP Server Console Switch G2 0x2x16 - AF618A

Hi,

HP IP and Server Console Switches G2 User Guide, hope it will resolve ur issue

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=3447589&prodSeriesId=4065994

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)

Regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

JimBuitt
Occasional Visitor

I have the same exact switch and I'm also having the same problem, no "KVM Session" under the Actions column for any of the attached servers.  I could not find any information in the User Guide about this problem.  The switch has the latest firmware applied.  Anybody have an idea why this might be happening??

Thanks,

Jim

J3st3r
Occasional Visitor

I have the same issue on both of the units installed. Local on the 19" Rack Viewer sessions are fine. Remotely via OWBI Viewer/KVM Session missing from Action and from within the individual Server entries.

Have tried different versions of IE, Firefox. Without firewalls, without any AV etc. Also tried PS2 and USB units. Firmware updated to the latest. Lastly restored one units configuration to defaults, restarted and set only static IP. None of these resolved it.

J3st3r
Occasional Visitor

BTW: User guide was no use and neither was the HP Site so far.
J3st3r
Occasional Visitor

Have tried to contact support by first entering the correct product number and then following the links ->

Contact Support - E-Mail HP - Technical support after you buy
Search products - Enter product name/number - AF618

Result: This returns only unrelated products.

I read in another forum that KVM can be supported via Servers and so...
Select your product - Servers (as no KVM/Rack option) - Proliant DL Servers - DL380

Waiting for support...

jlee_edd

This IP Console switch does not allow/support remote IP KVM Sessions to servers. 0X2X16 is an IP Console switch  for local server access from the console switch only. If you want to remotely access servers from an IP KVM you need to order the 1x1x8, 2x1x16 or 4x1x32

manunraj

Then, why was the LAN port given and user ID talks about setting up IP for the switch.

Just to login and see what systems are connected and log off ?

I don't think HP would have provided a LAN port and IP setup instruction just to do that.

Anybody else who got success with remote session access 0x2x16.

andrew88

Got the same problem, Cannot access the devices from the console remotely.

anyone had success with this???

Bjarke Andersen
Occasional Contributor

Sad to disappoint you, but jlee_edd is right.

Your console switch has no remote user capabilities what so ever, which actually is implied in the product name itself.

0x2x16

0 = No of remote simoultaneous user aka 0 in your case

2 = No of console user connected, aka 2 (that is why you got 2 VGA and PS/2 on the back)

16 = No of computers you can manage

So if you wanted to remote the computers remotely, then you bought the wrong KVM.

The LAN port is simply so you can remotely manage the KVM and IAs with firmware updates, name of ZIPs etc.