3382 Online
108842 Solutions
New Discussion

HP T1500 G3 UPS - Communication failure

RedShift
Visitor

HP T1500 G3 UPS - Communication failure

Hello

We have a problem with HP Power Protector, now running version 1.02 build 026. It regularly reports "Communication failure" and after a while "communication restored". The UPS is connected via USB, model T1500 G3.

This is not the only setup where we have this problem with HP Power Protector - it happens with other servers as well, running HP Power Protector. It's just particularly bad with this one.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Re: HP T1500 G3 UPS - Communication failure

Hi,

Few things you can try / check:

1. Connect the UPS to a host computer using either the USB cable or the DB9 serial cable included with the UPS.
  2. Look in the BIOS to see if the anu USB setting done.
  3. Try using serial cable connection.

Thanks,

madhuiss
HPE Pro

How much time is the UPS in disconnect state. If its within the duration of lowest shutdown delay configured for a server & the connection is restored then this can be ignored. Reason the traps sent if they dont return in expected duration then you see this issue. The Idea of Serial port(DB9) connectivity might improve this behavior as communication is on another path. But some servers will be used to monitor the iLO via CLI option. In order to use the Serial port you'll have to disable iLO CLI option in iLO configuration in the OS.

Cheers
Madhu
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
MikeVazovskii
Visitor

When will be the next version of HPPP without "Communication failure"?

Jimdotcom

I'm having the same problem with the same UPS model, when using the HPPP software. This isn't an issue using the old HPPM software.

In my configuration (USB connection to ProLiant ML350 G6 VMware host running ESXi 5.1.0), the issue occurs when anything other than the built in 'Admin' account is used.

I've had similar issues on a ProLiant ML350 G5. Having experimented a little, it seems that any deviation from the default username/password when configuring a power source causes random comms failure.

To workaround this, I've simply restored the default credentials and the clients seem to maintain communication reliably, but I'm interested to know:

A) If anyone else experiences similar behaviour.

B) If anyone's managed to get this to function reliably using credentials that have been reset (or entirely new user accounts).