1751933 Members
4924 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do they do it?

Danny Khong_1
Advisor

How do they do it?

I went to some sites for free games and music and they allow only a few try or a period and then I cannot try their free games and music any more. I thought my IP address changes every time I login to my ISP. Do they get my MAC address or through cookies that they will know who has login before? Is there any way that I can overcome this and continue to play their free games and music? How do they do it? Thank you.

Danny
Emptiness
8 REPLIES 8
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Danny,

They could do it through using cookies, but the chances are if you've installed the trial software that there's a dongle been placed in the registry. You could try to edit it, but if you're not careful, you could damage your system in such a way that you have to completely rebuild it. If you do decide to try this, make sure you back up the registry first. You could try looking in HKLM/software/ or HKCU/software/, but do so at your own risk.

Presumably you've tried unistalling the program and reinstalling it?

One other thing I'd say is that the raison d'etre of all commercial operations is to make money. If a company is offering you a free trial the idea is to try it before you buy it. If you really like the product or service, then why not pay the $10 or $20 and help support the organisation to make future developments?

Have a great Christmas.

Gary
Georg Tresselt
Honored Contributor

Maybe, it's enough to delete your cookies once in a while. :-)
http://www.tresselt.eu
Danny Khong

Thanks Gary & Georg for your prompt replies. I did pay some but having in addition two teen kids whose appetite for games & music is trememdous and don't seem like there is an end to it, so I allow a budget very week. I told them to limit purchases to those that they have tried the trial and really like it but then I do not understand why they stop the access to the other trials which is suppose to let people to try it before buying. Anyway their free trials do not have everything on it so even if one is to try it everyday will not get much fun. It may entice one to purchase it after trying many trial runs if they let go the restrictions.
Gary, I am not an expert in programming so can you give me more advise on the registry issue (thanks and appreciate very much)? Do you think that if I do a recovery on my PC every now and then so that there is no trace to stop us and my kids can try all the trials?

Danny
Emptiness
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor

Danny...try this (use defaults first):

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Freeware
I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
Danny Khong_1
Advisor

Thanks Rudy.
Emptiness
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor

Hi Danny...I don't have teenagers so cannot empathize well. I fear they would not live long here.

That utility I noted cleans EVERYTHING...and fast! If you need to replace too many cookies once it is done...uncheck that box before it is run again.

Instead, depend on AdAware and Spybot S&D to rid your PC of the nasty stuff.

That utility will also dig into your registry but I couldn't test it w/teenager induced entries (see above). You are the test case and I would appreciate feedback on how well it does on sweeping out the stuff preventing your offspring from enjoying free trials.

Well...it won't HURT your PC.

One of the original versions of this requird that Microsoft Visual Basic be installed before it would run. I think this is no longer the case but if you have any problems VB 6 is a "free" microsoft download.

Bet you can't wait til you have grandchildren!
I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
Danny Khong_1
Advisor

Thanks Rudy, for more advise.
Oh I think it is everywhere that many teens are crazy about games and music. Even my brothers almost 40 are still very up to date on all this. Many of the parents paid a lot for all this because the writers always come new things. Not much at $20 to $40 per item but two or three purchases multiply by two persons a week amounts a quite lot contributing to a fat pay check for many CEOs.
I had tried Adware (free home version) but does not help much. May consider SpyBot later. The "utility" refers to which software. I will try it out and be your guinea pig and post the outcome to share. The worst just do a recovery. Please don't write too technical, thank you.
Happy New Year 2005 to all of you and Best wishes.
Emptiness
Pat
Honored Contributor

Danny,

I don't know if this site does the same but you can try it.

http://www.fileplanet.com/

Pat