108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I caused it: rm_log_init: fopen of file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Records Management
Frequent Advisor

I just loaded the new version of WBEM A.02.09, and I still have the error message.
Records Management
Frequent Advisor

Turns out I need to load EMS A.04.20.31.04, which I did.

It didn't fix the problem, but the syslog entry now tells us who is causing it.

Sep 4 15:43:32 hampvmh syslog: rm_log_init: fopen of file /etc/opt/resmon/log/client.log by /opt/wbem/lbin/cimprovagt failed: Permission denied
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Did you also update the WBEM FCProvider?
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=FCPROVIDER01

They released a new version (.0909) with a fix that might be related, see here:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5900-0170/ch01s05.html
Records Management
Frequent Advisor

Just installed the 0909 FC provider as well as the rest of the updated providers. Also had to load CommonIO.

But, so far the syslog is error free. That's a first for this stuff.
Andre Froebel

Hello All,

seems nobody has yet answered the question regarding the syslog messages:

Apr 15 09:06:56 rmsimage cimserver[12922]: PGS10405: Failed to
deliver an indication: PGS11405: THE CIMEXPORT HTTP HEADER IS
MISSING.

This error appears, whenever a WBEM indication is send to WEBES. WEBES receives the indication and replies with an XML packet, but the entry "CIMEXPORT" is missing in the XML header. So in fact the indication could be delivered, but the reply from WEBES isn't conform to the WBEM specification. This issue should be addresses with the current WEBES release 5.6.

Hope this helps and kind regards,

Andre!
just a curious sys admin
hk_3

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3204147&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c01814954

HP Event Monitoring Service - "rm_log_init: fopen of file /etc/opt/resmon/log/client.log failed: Permission denied"

ISSUE:
The Support Tools Manager (STM) version June 2009 is installed on a HP-UX 11i v2 (11.23) server. After updating Event Monitoring Service (EMS) to version A.04.20.23.02, the following error is now logged every few minutes to /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log :
Jun 15 11:59:58 test1 syslog: rm_log_init: fopen of file /etc/opt/resmon/log/client.log failed: Permission denied
Updating to the current EMS version A.04.20.23.03 does not resolve the error. This also affects HP-UX 11.11 and 11.31 servers.

SOLUTION:
The /etc/opt/resmon/log/client.log file has permissions of 644 and it is owned by the user root. If a non root user process tries to open the file, the error is logged.
A System Fault Management (SFM) process was found which accesses the file. When configuring Remote Support Pack (RSP) for a non root WBEM user, several cimprovagt processes are now running as that user. These processes are started when WBEM subscriptions for the HP-UX server are added to HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM).
The HPUXFCIndicationProviderModule is one of those processes.
# ps -ef | grep cimprovagt wbem 15711 15205 0 12:59:03 ? 0:00 /opt/wbem/lbin/cimprovagt 0 5 9 wbem HPUXFCProviderModule
A tusc trace shows the Permission denied error:
open("/etc/opt/resmon/log/client.log", O_WRONLY|O_APPEND|O_CREAT|0x800, 0666) ERR#13 EACCES
The permissions, and owner of the EMS client.log file have not changed. The recent versions added logging the error message for a non root user. This message will be removed again in a future EMS release. The defect request is:
QXCR1000932860 rm_log_init: fopen of file /etc/opt/resmon/log/client.log failed

Workaround:
Change the permissions of the client.log file to 666.
NOTE: Permissions will revert back to 644 when EMS is updated. Every time the log file reaches 500 KB, EMS will automatically create a new log file with 644 permissions. To avoid this, create a file /etc/opt/resmon/unlimited_log:# touch /etc/opt/resmon/unlimited_log This removes the 500 KB limit and rotating log files. It is recommended to make /etc/opt/resmon/log a separate file system in that case to avoid filling up the root file system.