4704 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

IRS 7.0.5 : Logs

naveen123
Contributor

IRS 7.0.5 : Logs

Hi,

'desta sysinfo' or STC utility to collect IRS logs, in IRS 7.0.5 is there any command or utility

which will collect all relevant IRS log iles? If not from where we need to collect log files, path?

Is there any document which states how to analyze these log files?

Regards,

Naveen.

7 REPLIES 7
AndyC
Advisor

Re: IRS 7.0.5 : Logs

Hi Naveen,

RS v5's "desta sysinfo" command was a symptom of overly complex logging and far too many log files in far too many folders in v5.

HP Insight Remote Support 7.x has much simpler logging than v5.

At install time, RS v7 sets up a system variable that points to the log folder named %HP_RS_LOGS%This is typically set to C:\ProgramData\HP\RS\LOG (note that Windows has the convention of hiding the programdata folder by default).  All of the log files are at this locationAlmost everything you'd be interested it is in HPRS-date-sequence.log.

> Is there any document which states how to analyze these log files?

We reference the log file location on page 21 of the configuration guide here: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/kb/docDisplay/?docId=emr_na-c03399338, but it's still pretty light on detail about how to interpret the log contentsLuckilysince most interesting actions go into HPRS-date-sequence.log, it's much easier to interpret than v5's pile of log files.  

Cheers,

-Andy

I am an HP employee.
naveen123
Contributor

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for the valuable information.

Regards,

Naveen

AshrafAli
Occasional Visitor

Hi Andy,

Can you send me sample for data sent to HP via IRS 7.0.5 because my customer need to know what's data look like?

toddg1
HPE Pro

Hi AshrafAli,

What data are you looking to show your customer?  Seeing the data that is sent to HP from the customer systems is viewable in the Insight RS user interface.

If you select a specific device from the "devices" page, you will see a tab for "collections" - navigate to this tab after selecting the device - and then you can navigate on this tab to see details about any collection taken from the device.

When you see the "more details" link - select it ... at the bottom of the information that "pops up" is a selection to first copy the file, and then download the file to see what was sent to HP.

The only type of file not directly viewable (since it's binary) is the "Active Health System" collection from an iLO 4 enabled Gen8 ProLiant, all others are plain text.

Let me know if this isn't sufficient.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
andyed5454
Frequent Visitor

Can you provide any guideline on the amount of space needed for IRS logs. Do they roll over once the allocted space is used?

My customer has concerns over space used by both IRS and HP OneView but I cannot find any detail in the manuals.

shatra
Advisor

Regarding logs there is not so much info.

Disk space utilization can be somehow calculated as hp stated in this document(see page 12):

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04844076

toddg1
HPE Pro

Hi Andyed,

Version 7.0.5 of Insight Remote Support is MANY years old, and long out of support life.  We recommend that you update to the latest version.  Newer versions of the product store log files in a ZIPPED format once they are no longer being written to actively.

As another poster responded - there are instructions in the help and documentation on how to calculate the disk space required.

If you had somehow changed the settings on your system to log in a DEBUG mode (which is VERY VERY verbose) then I suggest you contact support for how to revert those settings to INFO - the normal level.

Todd

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo