108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: If this interest you!

Ph Vouters
Valued Contributor

If this interest you !

Dear everyone,

If this subject dealt with here interests you :

http://vouters.dyndns.org/tima/HP-UX-catman-whatis_database-How_to_use_HP-UX_the_most_efficiently.html

The lack of it has poisoned my HP-UX life more than once during my career at HP or later. I am really wondering how my HP-UX support teammates could really become experts in HP-UX as none of them looked implementing such a feature on their HP owned HP-UX systems.

My only reproach is to NOT have written such a paper much earlier. However, better late than never.

Kind regards,

Philippe

3 REPLIES 3
Ph Vouters
Valued Contributor

Re: If this interest you !

Dear everyone,

Here is a mail content I addressed people of my knowledge within HP. As this impacts you as HP-UX customers, I think it is worth that I share with everyone my so far experience and difficulty onto best using HP-UX. Here is the mail content:

"

Dear everyone,

As per goes my experience with HP-UX since I am outside HP, I found that HP-UX public information is hard to find on the public Web. I think I now know why ! This only should be because HP looks not skilled enough on best using public search engines with enough relevant keywords so that the information it posts best appears in the Web search engines results.

I wanted just to know how well my latest catman HP-UX related document was actually appearing in Google's results. So I queried it with: "indexing mans HP-UX". My very big surprise has been to discover that HP actually offers all HP-UX mans as clickable. Despite me frequently studying subjects on HP-UX, my so far HP-UX related Google queries could never drive me onto such a Web available richness.

This was to provide every destined of this mail, directly or indirectly empowered to improve HP's visibility on the public Web so that HP acts upon. Every destined of this mail may be indirectly empowered by forwarding this external from HP feedback to appropriate people within HP.

Philippe

"

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>My very big surprise has been to discover that HP actually offers all HP-UX manpages as clickable.

Yes, this was one of the solutions after the docs.hp.com fiasco several years back.  There were two major parts, PDF only and broken URLs.

You can consult the tag cloud:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/docs.hp.com/tg-p

We used to be able to have separate HTML pages for each command.  They were easy to access.  Whereas for PDF, there was one file for ALL the manpages and took a long time to download each time.

And the clickable PDF index was the solution.  This used to be mentioned prominently on the last html version of docs.hp.com but now is in the middle of the PDF replacement:

A Guide to HP-UX Document Collections

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02492449/c02492449.pdf

Here is the latest:

HP-UX 11i v3 (March 2012 Update):

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03231920/c03231920.pdf

Ph Vouters
Valued Contributor

Dear Dennis,

If you are empowered to influence the HP-UX HP's business so that HP's HP-UX public information gets better indexed by Google, you will help many HP-UX users in more appreciating the real quality of this operating system. Not neglecting, you will also help many HP employees to better serve HP customers. The more so concerning HP employees as I do notice in my Apache logs that many of them query Google to find out the most relevant answer to their one time concern.

Please note, this problem of lack of public Web visibility is more specific to HP-UX. As far goes my experience also working on OpenVMS, HP's OpenVMS technical information is much more visible and much more easily accessible on the public Web.

Your truly,

Philippe