1751832 Members
5409 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Installation Error

Paolo_R
Advisor

Installation Error

I am trying to install OpenVMS  on the FreeAXP simulator and I get this error message: "Error occurred executing AXPVMS$PCSI_EX_INS_PROCESSOR.COM"

I have tried installing on a 32-bit Centrino Duo (Windows XP) and a 64-bit Intel Core i7 (Windows 7 Professional). 

Can anyone help with a solution?

7 REPLIES 7
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paolo,

it is very unlikely, that this error has anything to do with the FreeAXP Emulator (not: Simulator) !

If you want help, please provide a better problem description (what exactly did you do ?) together with the commands used and the output of the console session (use cut &paste from the Putty Console window).

Volker.

Paolo_R
Advisor

Volker:

>>> please provide a better problem description (what exactly did you do ?) <<<

I was trying to install openVMS. The installation had got to at least 40%  complete and then this error message popped up followed by advice to terminate the process.

If you want a screen dump I'll have to start the install again - but I was twiddling my thumbs waiting for the install to finish :-)

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paolo,

configure the Putty console terminal to log the printable screen output to a file (Session -> Logging)  and re-run the installation. Then post the complete logfile (as an attachment to your forum message). This should answer most questions...

Which version of OpenVMS Alpha did you try to install ?

If you're interested, look at the procedure AXPVMS$PCSI_EX_INS_PROCESSOR.COM in [VMS$COMMON.SYSUPD] on your OpenVMS Operating System CDROM to see, what it's doing and what the possible errors could be...

Volker.

Paolo_R
Advisor

Volker: it's OpenVMS 8.4

I'll do another install with logging.

Thanks
Paolo_R
Advisor

Volker: session log attached.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paolo,

%SET-E-SEARCHFAIL, error searching for DISK$ALPHASYS:[SYS0.][SYSEXE]SYS$ERRLOG.DMP;

-RMS-E-FNF, file not found

Error occured executing AXPVMS$PCSI_EX_INS_PROCESSOR.COM

Do you want to terminate? (Yes/No) yes

%PCSI-I-SPAWNEXE, error executing: @pcsi$source:[SYSUPD]AXPVMS$PCSI_EX_INS_PROCESSOR.COM

Did you have a look at the V8.4 version of AXPVMS$PCSI_EX_INS_PROCE SSOR.COM ? The only 2 commands, that could have failed are

$set prot=(S:RWED,O:RWED,G,W) PCSI$DESTINATION:[SYSEXE]SYS$ERRLOG.DMP;
$set file /nobackup PCSI$DESTINATION:[SYSEXE]SYS$ERRLOG.DMP;

These commands are preceeded by the following commands:

$sysgen = "$sysgen"
$define/user sys$output nl:
$define/user sys$error nl:
$if "AXPVMS" .eqs. "AXPVMS"
$then
$sysgen create PCSI$DESTINATION:[SYSEXE]SYS$ERRLOG.DMP /size=8202

How about the disk space on DKA100: ? You'll note the DEFINE/USER commands above, which will PREVENT error messages from the SYSGEN CREATE command to show up. Why could that command fail ? Insufficient disk space ? A good old 'physical RZ25M had 535 MB of disk space.

From the OpenVMS V8.4 SPD:

The minimum disk space required for OpenVMS Alpha is 3 GB.

There were also a couple of %SYSTEM-I-MOUNTVER errors for BOTH DKA0: (CDrom) and DKA100: (RZ25M) - both virtual disks ? - preceeding this error. Those could have been caused by a problem in the FreeAXP Emulator or the underlying operating system. Are there any errors in the emulator logfile ? But mount-verification should NOT cause problems with the file system, i.e. missing files.

Volker.

Paolo_R
Advisor

Volker:  I am a complete novice concerning OpenVMS.

From your comments I assume I should set up a much bigger disk in the emulator.  As far as looking at the disk contents are concerned, no I haven't - my knowledge of OpenVMS doesn't yet extend that far :-(

I shall modify the disk size and try to install again. Thanks for your help.