108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS and the Storage subsystem HDS 9960

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ouch! That looks like a hack to me if unit numbers cannot be assigned by the system/storage manager. What happens if you want to use two arrays?

Last year I was able to attend a session held by an IBM consultant who told a bit about their work to make their 'Shark' storage array compatible with OpenVMS. OpenvMS requires a vendor-specific SCSI mode page to contain the unit number and the IBM people abused another field in their user interface to set that number.

You _always_ have to take care about the proper 'host mode'! I have heard a tale obout an AlphaServer GS160 running a big SAP R/3 instance that crashed because the OPERATING_SYSTEM was improperly set on the HSG connections.

So it looks like Hitachi/HP have slightly improved their arrays for AlphaServer support. I remember when one of your customers bought a Lightning it took HDS (and/or some subcontractor) quite some time to have Tru64 Unix properly recognize the disks. At that time a poll via WWIDMGR on the console trapped the program in an endless cycle - we could see constant activity on the switch port.

Mike, what is the 'OJT way'? Is that like being thrown into cold water to 'learn swimming'?
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Uwe: That is about it. I had someone to show me the basics of how the simulator and VMS worked. The rest I had to figure out myself. I spent the better part of 2 years in HELP during my thumb-twiddle time on 12 hour shifts waiting for something to break.

I learned Alphaserver/SAN/HSG setup a very similar way. Someone showed me the basics, and I read the manuals from there.

I did get to attend a week long in-house training course for the EVA. (Model 1) but that really did not prepare us for an actual implementation, or using the SSSU.
VMS SAN mechanic
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I see. Judging from your posts here and on comp.os.vms I'd say you have done a good job, my compliments.

The EVA is a pretty complicated thing. It takes some time to grasp the basics - I speak from experience ;-)
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

I now have a 20TB Thunder on loan from Hitachi installed. We should begin testing it in the next week or so. The Loaner XP1024 from HP should arrive any day.

Mike
VMS SAN mechanic
arun sanghvi
Occasional Advisor

What version of VMS  are you using with HDS 9960?

Thanks.