Re: Oracle & Itanium

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Oracle & Itanium

See

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/346696

No mention of it, but does anyone have any info how this impacts Rdb and DBMS (and of course native Oracle?

I am not optimistic here...

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
29 REPLIES 29
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Interesting! Maybe Oracle could sell Rdb back to HP? ;-)
A crucible of informative mistakes
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Hoff
Honored Contributor

If we can take a pause from the PR kerfuffle and briefly return to what passes for customer reality, can we discuss what happens here going forward?

In the near term, obviously nothing needs to happen and nothing needs to change. Oracle software support for existing environments remains available, and the existing Itanium boxes work now and will for some years ahead, and new Itanium boxes are presently available. Status quo.

What has changed is the future availability of new versions of Oracle products.

Which means that we now have a mid- or longer-term choice of a migration off of OpenVMS or HP-UX to another operating system with Oracle database support, or of an on-platform migration from the Oracle products to a different database (and what are the options?), or reconfiguring our existing environments and applications to use a served (remote) database, or some combination of these.

None of these are particularly good choices.

Further information on the application options and alternatives will almost certainly be (or is?) available from Oracle, and y'all (HP) do presently have an opportunity to provide your input and your suggestions and your product alternatives, as well as input and suggestion from your (HP) partners. This window won't remain open indefinitely, as responses are being formulated and decisions are presently being made.
Shael Richmond
Frequent Advisor

Following Hoff's lead....

Both Oracle RDBMS and the RDB products are covered by lifetime support. That should give us up to 8 years of support with patches. That time will be a bit less probably because I believe the initial 5 years starts as of the product release. After that support will be there just no new patches.

In our case, it would be easy to move our Oracle RDBMS server to another platform - just costly but our application could run happily on VMS. However since we use Codasyl DBMS(RDB) as our production database our options aren't too good. We can take the risk after the patch period is over or leave VMS.

As a company we have already made inquiries to Oracle and yet to hear a response. The best of the bad situation would be that RDB continues on but Oracle RDBMS stops.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

HP's information portal for its response to the Oracle announcement is at:
http://www.hp.com/go/customersfirst

According to the Oracle web site RDB 7.2 will be supported to at least 2016

You can write to Oracle with your opinion

Unbelievable move by Oracle. I wish they'd leave RDB alone and let it continue on VMS.

The sites I have worked have already begun migrating away from VMS to Solaris/Linux for Oracle Server DBs. VMS did not receive much love from Oracle for the Oracle Server DB.

RDB/VMS: it'll be good opportunity to migrate applications too, not just the DBs.

I wonder though, why HP didn't go the route of Oracle/MS/IBM and buy up enterprise software.
P Muralidhar Kini
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Some more links -
http://ai-soft.com/uncategorized/oracle-vs-hp-the-sniping-continues/
http://www.rttnews.com/Content/BreakingNews.aspx?Id=1582378

The battle is certainly on between HP and Oracle. Interesting to read previous posts, to know the actions taken by customers based on this move by Oracle.

Just wondering what could be the next move (and by whom) :)

Regards,
Murali
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC