108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle & Itanium

SOLVED
Go to solution
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Some big companies could announce they port some databases to VMS.

For example, suppose HP decides to help Ingres port the latest version of their database to Alpha or Itanium.
Or suppose IBM decides to port PostgreSQL to VMS Alpha and Itanium.

This would suppose the top management is bright...
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

INGRE 9.2 is already available on OpenVMS Alpha and I64.

There is a report of the current Ingres 10 being built on current VMS.

Solution

I have a build of Ingres 10.1, Community Version, on OpenVMS I64 V8.4. It seems to work without issue. It took a while to get the build environment to work but it does run and SQL executes against the DB via JDBC - since am working in that environment.

I have a VMSINSTAL kit available if there is interest.

Bill.
Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Oracle have released some details

www.oracle.com/itanium

11gR2 11.2.0.3 is the last planned DB release for HP-UX on Itanium, and 10gR2 10.2.0.5 is the last planned DB release for OVMS, Windows and Linux on Itanium. For RDB last release is RDB 7.3 for Itanium.

If this is not want you want then do let Oracle know. They need your business.

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Oracle DBMS is Oracle Database is it not?

in which case 11gr2 is the last version on Itainium

If you open up porting to a different database as an option, then (at the scale that most organizations tend to use Oracle) porting to another platform (with or without Oracle) is usually also an option.

Digging out and dusting off and adjusting all of the database-specific accretions(1) that are implemented within legacy databases can be a big project in any database migration.

And that's before you look at both the supporting tools, and whatever odd extensions to SQL might be in use within the environment, or at the tools and compilers involved around any embedded SQL usage.

And given typical license and support prices, the environments with the "low hanging fruit" and with the "easy stuff" have often already been ported.

I've had some platform ports that were easier than some database ports.

YMMV, of course.

--

(1): por ejemplo, stored procedures, triggers and rules and key constraints, and the whole rest of the zoo that tends to silently breed within modern databases.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> Oracle DBMS is Oracle Database is it not?

No, that surely is meant to be a reference to the Oracle CODASYL DBMS which is closely tied to RDB. It is listed as a 'related' product.
It currently has the same released version number 7.2.4 and as such might not need an explicit mention.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/rdb/index-086844.html

>> For me the most worrysome mention so far is the suggestion that Oracle-Oracle 10.2 would be the last version, not 11.

As Norm also suggests in C.O.V, RDB 7.3 can be seen as good news. That _is_ a news version with perhaps many more sub-versions to come as proper customer support might require that.
In a conversations over a billiards game with some RDB engineer last Friday that is the current, optimistic, thinking. Yeah they are worried. They may become innocent victims caught in the crossfire.

Let's just wait for the dust to settle some.

fwiw,
Hein
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Kevin Duffy, RDB manager @ Oracle send out a clear, and positive, RDB update earlier this evening to the oraclerdb@jcc.com mailing list.

It seems to match my earlier understanding of the situation.
With respect to the RDBMS question it talks about the RDB family being: "Oracle Rdb, Oracle CODASYL DBMS, Oracle CDD/Repository, Oracle SQL/Services,... and more"

Unfortunately it also confirms Oracle-Oracle 10.2.5 as a final release on OpenVMS, not 11gR2. Bummer.

I have attached a simple text version of that messagge.

Hein

P Muralidhar Kini
Honored Contributor

Some interesting comparison -

* Compare: Ingres vs Oracle
http://database-management-systems.findthebest.com/compare/18-36/Ingres-vs-Oracle

* Comparison of relational database management systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems

Regards,
Murali
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC