108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Other users can't delete print jobs on HPUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

Other users can't delete print jobs on HPUX

I have set up a remote printer using the SAM GUI. During the setup, you are given the opportunity to check a box which is supposed to allow other users to delete the print jobs submitted to this printer. I created a printer and checked this option, yet when I try to delete the print job submitted by another user, I get a message stating that, "You must have root capability to cancel requests". The remote system is a Sato bar label printer connected to a Lantronix print server, but this shouldn't matter as the actual job is deleted on the HPUX server in the spooler, right? If that's the case, then why the problem deleting other user's print jobs?

TIA
4 REPLIES 4
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

I dont create the queue through GUI. But as far as i know ""You must have root capability to cancel other users' request" is true with HP-UX's LP sub system.

what is the HP-UX version you have?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The ability to cancel another user's remote print job is limited by the permissions on the remote host. The request can be made but often the answer is "no".

For local/network print jobs putting the cancel command under the control of sudo can give you this capability.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

So the check box to allow other users to cancel jobs definitely works with local printers, and MAY work with remote printers, but if I run the command under sudo it should definitely work, right?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Maybe. Bear in mind that HP-UX has "Network" printers (ie those which work under the JetDirect [port 9100] protocol) and "Remote" printers (those which use the LPR/LPD protocol). Sudo will work for Network and local printers BUT just running as root where the request to cancel is made doesn't imply that you are granted super-user rights on the remote host where the printing actually takes place.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.