New Discussion юеВ

Questions Authors and Points Assignments

SOLVED
Go to solution
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Questions Authors and Points Assignments

Hi All,

I wasn't really sure either to post this thread here in the M$ General or !! However, my point is that this thread to be recognized by other forumers in general. I've been realizing that most of the question authors do not bother to assign points or even worse, do not keep us updated of what's going on. I'm assuming that most of the people who post the questions, they actually do not know how to submit the points. This the least appreciation for whoever invest his time and thoughts trying to help.
I'm posting a link here to educate the users about the points, how it works and the importance of assiging them.
http://us-support.external.hp.com/estaff/bin/doc.pl/screen=estaffAssistance/distrib_redir=0+1048034416|*?Page=file0002

This discussion is execpeted to be welcomed by everyone. Please share your thoughts.
Thanks
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
43 REPLIES 43
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Re: Questions Authors and Points Assignments

BTW :^) "execpeted" should be expected. Just minor correction.
Thanks again.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

Any body there.
P I N G...
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Oh, please, not another one of these.

This has come up so many times it is ridiculous!

I agree that everyone SHOULD assign points. BUT, there is NO WAY you are going to be able to MAKE everyone do it. It just ain't gonna happen.

Assigning points is a voluntary thing. Yes, the points are nice. Yes, they do show who did or did not help (usually).

I do not agree with the "solution" of making it mandatory, or limiting someone who does not assign points to a certain percentage of responses. That is not what this forum is about. It is about sys admins helping other sys admins in need.

Yes, the points are nice and I definitely enjoy getting them. Are points my main goal when I respond to a question? NO! My main goal is to try and help someone and, in my opinion, that should be EVERYONE'S goal.

Just one mans opinion.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Patrick,

I totaly agree with your opinion and that's why I'm asking everyone to share here.My mistake is that I didn't do a search before posting this thread. I believe that you I help others I learn too. Isn't that unique.

John Bolene
Honored Contributor

And some forums have way more bunnies showing up than others.

I used to gripe at certain folks who have an assigned point ratio that is really low or non-existant. Then I figured if they did not put out points, then griping at them would not help either.

There are givers and takers in this world, I choose to be a giver.

It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Latif,

So you finally went and done it, huh?

OK, so you have already seen that there are some out there that look at this as being a much too often discussed topic on the forums. I must admit that it have seen this type of thread many more times than it probably should have been brought up, but it???s still a valid concern. As long as there are people that don???t assign points, then you will most likely see threads addressing the topic.

Also, I don???t know that I have ever seen it in this category of the forums (maybe I just missed it. That???s always a possibility). I, too, would like to see the response from the M$ community on this issue. At the risk of stepping on some toes here might I suggest, to those of you that think this subject should be done and buried, that you simply click another link on the browser and act like you didn???t see it in the first place. While there are some of us that do regularly go back and forth between many of the different categories in this forum, not all do and I would like to hear from them on this subject.

If you think that this is just the ravings of a point-hungry lunatic and it isn???t a shared thought by many, then allow me to point you attention to the following post by the current Forums Manager:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x356efd3f91d3d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

I would also suggest that you look at this one from a current Olympian (to whom points don???t matter that much any more). This person is still a strong advocate of point assignment.
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x3d056049dbb6d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

I could direct you to many more like it throughout this forum, but this should be enough to get you aquatinted with the subject.

How many of our regular M$ forum attendees can tell us what the benefits of assigning points are? Why do you think that the point system was put in place? In your opinion, is there a valid reason for having them or assigning them? Does it do any good other than to give people hats next to their name?

Come on M$ forumers, tell us what your take on this is???
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Gregory Lee_1
Regular Advisor

XMAN,

I share in your frustation.

Although I would consider a thank you just as rewarding as points, it is hard for me to understand why some people would ask a question on these forums and then never return to give info on whether their problem was resolved by a forum member's reply, by a discovery on their own or not at all.

I also agree with Patrick that no one should be told to assign points, it would be like telling someone to say thank you. It would have very little meaning.

So, with that being said, I would like to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU! to all of the forum members who continue in the sometime thankless task of helping others in need.

Regards,
Greg

PS: Give me my points!
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Latif:

Part of the problem is many people don't understand how to award points and/or there continue to be problems with the software. There is an example right now on this (Microsoft) forum. Mike, the author of this thread (http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xc74e28c64656d71190080090279cd0f9,00.html) has now attempted twice to award points unsuccessfully. Why not make it a little more straightforward?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Roger,

I tried to follow your link to that thread and keep getting a ???404 Page cannot be found??? error.

As for the issue with assigning points and the problems with it, there is also a thread from Dan (our friendly, neighborhood Forums Manager) on that particular issue:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xbe4a9c196a4bd71190080090279cd0f9,00.html

As for making it easier, why not post your thoughts and suggestions on that matter to that thread or to the one for the issues that he starts every month? Here is the latest example of that one:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x69569c196a4bd71190080090279cd0f9,00.html

I???ve noticed that they are usually pretty good at addressing each person???s thoughts and ideas even if they don???t implement them.

So Roger, what about you? Besides that nice, pretty little hat you have on your head, what other reasons do you see for the point system? Are the hats the only things that the point system provides us or do you think there might be more?
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855