1751716 Members
5393 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: R3000 XR

richls1
Frequent Advisor

R3000 XR

A 30 second power outage caused a R3000 XR to do what it was supposed to do, kept everything up and running till power was restored. When power was restored the alarm and bad battery led's were flashing red and the utility led is on solid green. Changed the battery pack and gave it 48 hours to charge. Still no change. The loads are still plugged into the unit and running. Making it look like it's in auto-bypass but the user manual says that the utility led should be red when in auto-bypass. Anyone have any ideas, maybe the unit itself is bad or maybe the UPS needs to be powered off and back on? The batteries are hot swapable but the user manual isn't too clear if anything else has to be done when the batteries are replaced.
5 REPLIES 5
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Did you follow this step in R3000 XR User Manual (troubleshooting section):

"The Bad Battery/Low Battery
LED is flashing red, and
there is an audible alarm every
5 seconds:
1.The battery may be fully
discharged.
Plug the UPS into a power
outlet for 24 hours to charge
the battery. After charging the
battery, press and hold the
Test/Alarm Reset button for
3 seconds and check the Bad
Battery/Low Battery LED.
If the Bad Battery/Low Battery
LED is still on, the battery
may need to be replaced.

2.The battery is not connected
properly:
Check the battery connections.
Call an HP authorized service
representative if the problem
continues.
richls1
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I followed everything in the user manual and even replaced the battery tray with a new fully charged tray. Checked the voltage with an ohm meter, shows 65volts on each half of the tray. The flashing alarm and bad battery led is still flashing with the utility on solid green. It seems to be stuck in some kind of loop. The self test goes thru it's cycle but doesn't clear the flashing led's. I'm waiting to get down time so I can take all the loads off the UPS and try power cycling the UPS. I am an HP authorized servicer but I've never worked on on the R3000 before.
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I have the same problem with the same UPS. Everything seems to work correctly but the general alarm and the bad battery LED are blinking red.
I have already replaced the batteries but it did not help. The only thing that helped was to replace the elecronics module. With another module everything works as is should.

But I'm not giving up. I will try the following thing now:

- Hook a dummy load to the UPS and let the batteries run empty. Maybe that recalibrates the battery "fuel gauge".

- Try to update the firmware (or maybe downgrade)

If this does not help, I will order a replacement electronic module sinde the UPS is still under warranty.
"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
richls1
Frequent Advisor

My fix was definitely the Electronis Module, I wish I had tried that first.
paradonym
Occasional Collector

Similar problem:

replaced a defective battery pack with a new one (HP part number 407407-001) without powering down the UPS .
LEDs after plugging the new 407407-001 into the UPS switched to green, battery seems to be okay, but the charging indicator was at 25%.
Even a week later the indicator still shows only 25%.
Therefore a self-test isn't possible because the R3000XR indicates that the 407407-001 isn't fully charged...