108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Removal of digital/sco unix logon banner

SOLVED
Go to solution
MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

Removal of digital/sco unix logon banner

With security in mind, we have edited the the /etc/issue file on the HP systems to state "Unauthorized Access Prohibited" and remove references to system name/OS. On digital/sco unix this file seems to only add the additional info. Is there a way to remove this information?
5 REPLIES 5
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: Removal of digital/sco unix logon banner

Hi,

I am not a digital unix guy. But I guess you can play with your /etc/gettydefs to change that setting.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

I dont have a DEC or SCO box handy, but as a general rule this display is from 1 of 2 files.

/etc/motd
/etc/issue

I guess it could also be
/etc/copyright

The easiest way to tell, is look in the /etc/profile and look for "cat filename" commands.

I was never sure of the legality of doing this, so always backed up the original, then created my own.

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

The /etc/motd had a reference, but not exactly the same as this logon banner:

Unauthorized access prohibited!!!

Digital UNIX (windom.uhcolorado.edu) (ttyp7)

login:
twang
Honored Contributor
Solution

/etc/gettydefs must be modified.

It has an initial entry of.....

console# B9600 HUPCL CS8 CLOCAL IXON OPOST ONLCR # B9600 SANE IXANY TAB3 CLOCAL
#\r\n\r\n%v (%h) %t\r\n\r\n\rlogin: #console

which is what the system will present to the user when a telnetd process is invoked.....(see 'man gettydefs' for more information )

simply place an entry above this one similar to the following (remember to ensure there is at least 1 blank line between each entry)

default# B9600 HUPCL CS8 CLOCAL IXON OPOST ONLCR # B9600 SANE IXANY TAB3 CLOCAL
#\r\n#default

This will then simply display the word 'login:' when a user connects......

Should you wish to display a warning or banner message before the login: is presented you can also create a file called /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net (for X-windows) containing any text you would like displaying....(see 'man issue' for information)

Once a user has logged in, messages can be diplayed by modifying /etc/motd ( message of the day )

Note : This first entry in gettydefs is classed as default.
MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

twang,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I did not have a chance to test your suggestion. For DEC unix that was the answer. Thanks. For SCO unix 5.0 the banner line in /etc/default/issue needed to be commented out. For SCO unix 7.1 ttymon needs to be restarted with a "-p" parameter which provides a login prompt with no banner message.

Mark