1753465 Members
4832 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Roadmap HP-UX - Itanium

Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

If superiority ruled the marketplace, Windows wouldn't be so widespread. :)
--
Jeff Traigle
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

I cannot say I did not see this coming. Once Red Hat and Microsoft stopped developing on Itanium, I knew it had become the new PA-RISC. I don't see many costomers jumping ship just yet. I think it will all occur when most shops do their server refreshes, or when leases expire. In my case, I have worked in shops running Oracle E-bus. That is not exaclty a product you just dump. Lots of money goes into implemntation, development, training, etc. My assumption is thagt I will either be a Linux or Soalris admin in the future. But I do think it is too early to say. Maybe HP will port HPUX to Xeon. I am just going to take it one day at a time.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Thomas S. Iversen.

Pete, Itanium is a nice chip, and HP-UX is a nice OS (I make a living of it, amongst others), but Solaris on Sparc is on par with HP-UX on Itanium. And so is AIX on Power. All very nice operating systems on nice platforms.
IMO.

Any bets on the outcome?

1. HP closes down HP-UX within a given timeframe?
2. HP announces HP-UX for x86_64 on highend hardware (whatever that might be).
3. HP somehow makes Oracle retract the statement.

Thomas
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Or, HP teams up with EnterpriseDB to provide an Oracle-compatible database with a fraction of the cost.
The latest version of PostgreSQL Advanced Server will be available for HP-UX in the near future. If HP puts some effort in it and guarantees software compatibility, why not ?
And even if HP doesn't guarantee that, I think we will be running EnterpriseDB software in the very near future.