1745904 Members
4380 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sendmail configuration

Martin Schloegl_1
Occasional Contributor

Sendmail configuration

I have configured sendmail to use a smart relay for all mail but when I do a test, it does not work and when I look in the log, it lists the relay as root@localhost. What am I missing? I can ping the relay by both ip and dns from the unix machine.
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Sendmail configuration

Hi Martin,

The Smart Relay macro should do this. Have you stopped/restarted sendmai?
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Martin Schloegl_1
Occasional Contributor

I have stopped and restarted Sendmail. Most of this is all new to me but when I issue the command to stop it responds with No sendmail server running. Then I start it and see the same results. I did verify the DS line in the sendmail.cf file is the mail gateway and I have tried putting in the Ipaddress as well as the dns name and also the Aliase. I also verified it was in the Hosts file correctly. Anything else to check?
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Hi
If you using DNS find out your MX record,e.g
smtp2. Look in your db file on DNS server for MX record.

DSsmtp2.xyz.com

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Martin Schloegl_1
Occasional Contributor

Even though I can ping my dns server from the unix box, I have not configured it in DNS and would prefer not to.
John Booth_1
Advisor

To start and stop sendmail:
cd /sbin/onit.d
./sendmail stop
./sendmail start

I have also had trouble with the sendmail.cf file. When you install new patches to the system this file doesn't get updated. Try to copy in a new sendmail.cf file and configure it.
It is located:
/usr/newconfig/etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Martin Schloegl_1
Occasional Contributor

I wish to thank everyone for there help. After doing some more searching I found my problem. My /etc/nsswitch.conf was pointing to DNS instead of files. I changed this and it is working now. Thanks to everyone.