1752772 Members
4610 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Single User Mode on HPUX11i

krudi01
Occasional Contributor

Single User Mode on HPUX11i

I am trying to expand the size of /tmp, but I am unable to unmount the /tmp device. It keeps telling me it is busy. I know I need to get into Single User Mode, but how do I do that? And once I am in single user mode, what do I do to expand /tmp and how do I get back into normal mode?
7 REPLIES 7
Henk Geurts
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Single User Mode on HPUX11i

Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Reboot your server

At the prompt press any key with 10 sec / Press a key

Type BO pri
Interact with IPL : Y
HPUX -is (you are now in single user mode

lvextend -L size /dev/vg00/lvolx
extendfs -F vxfs /dev/vg00/rlvolx
reboot

Your server will come up and /tmp has increased.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Reboot the box and hit any key at the 10 second prompt to get into ISL mode. Then enter "hpux -is" and the machine will come up in single user mode. I normally do a mount -a, then umount /tmp, then you can do your lvextend and extendfs.

Pete

Pete
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

You need to reboot, interrupt at the 10 second prompt, enter "hpux -is" and the machine will come up in single user mode with nothing but / mounted.

Then mount /usr

then use lvextend and extendfs to extend /tmp

You could also use ignite to resize your vg00

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

(this assumes a PARISC system - the instructions are slightly different for Itanium)

You use shutdown -r 0 to reboot. Watch the real console for a message about interrupting the boot process within 10 seconds. Just press Enter to pause the bootup. Answer YES to boot from primary and YES to interact. At the prompt, type: hpux -is

At that point, the system will boot up into single user mode and you'll get a shell prompt. Use this command to find the device file for /tmp, possibly /dev/vg00/lvol4. Assuming that this is the correct device file, use lvextend to set the new size. If you need /tmp = 500 megs, use this:

lvextend -L 500 /dev/vg00/lvol4

Then extend the filesystem with the 'raw' devicefile rlvol4:

extendfs /dev/vg00/rlvol4

then you can reboot back to multi-user mode with: reboot -r

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Sp4admin
Trusted Contributor

Hi Krudi01,

Do a "shutown" and that will put you in single. That do the following.

lvextend -L size /dev/vg00/lvolx
extendfs -F vxfs /dev/vg00/rlvolx

sp,

krudi01
Occasional Contributor

I have tried all the methods below, but no luck. It is an Itanium system. When I restart it, the first item on the menu is EFI Shell, when I select that, it doesn't recognize "BOOT primary" or "HPUX -is" nothing seems to work other than "reboot". Having done a "shutdown" also does not work out for me as I get presented with the same options. Also, I am not sure if this makes a difference, but I dont have a terminal display on the box, only a normal VGA screen.

Please somebody hit me over the head with the right information ... PLEASE!