108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart-Array Administration Utility (hpacucli) FreeBSD amd64

SOLVED
Go to solution
nsoder
Occasional Advisor

Smart-Array Administration Utility (hpacucli) FreeBSD amd64

Hello, I need this tool compiled for FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE (amd64).

Currently the ports distribution is marked as broken for amd64, and trying to install gives this message:

"===> hpacucli-7.50_3 is marked as broken: currently does not work on amd64 (see ports/128288).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/hpacucli."

I am trying to diagnose an issue with my Smart Array P410 rebuilding the RAID 1+0 array using the hot-spare once or twice a week.

I've installed /usr/ports/sysutils/smartmontools hoping it would provide some useful data. However, during/after the array rebuild I've checked each of the 6 SAS drives in the array, plus the 7th hot-spare, and the only real errors I can spot are the following:

"Log Sense for temperature failed [scsi response fails sanity test]"

Though, each drive that reports this also reports: "SMART Health Status: OK"

FreeBSD has a page dedicated to HP Proliant servers located here: http://people.freebsd.org/~jcagle/

The author lists two HP engineers responsible for the FreeBSD ports of the Proliant software:
* hpasmd: Soumitri Kadambi (soumitri.kadambi@hp.com)
* hpacucli: Sri Sai Ganesh Venkataramani (v.sri.sai.ganesh@hp.com)

I have attempted to contact both engineers for the last 18mo, but have not received a single response to my inquiries.

Please advise.

Thanks,
nsoder
11 REPLIES 11
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Can't you just administrate your Smart Array via the BIOS (if you can afford downtime?) -- or is it a must that you use hpacucli regularly on a running OS?
Hakuna Matata.
nsoder
Occasional Advisor

@Alzhy,

I can't afford the downtime! This system is a back-office system in production for a CFTC regulated Commodities Exchange.

I wrote a simple shell script to run cciss_vol_status once a day, and email me when the array status returns UNHEALTHY. The problem with this is that by the time I arrive to the office in the morning, receive the UNHEALTHY alert email, and finally make my way to the server room; the array finished rebuilding and all LED indicators show good status.

I have twice checked in on it remotely during the night session when the script returned UNHEALTHY, and cciss_vol_status does say that the array is rebuilding using the hot-spare. Though, when I get in to the office in the morning to physically check the machine, the array status is HEALTHY with the hot-spare returned to available status.

I've received two alerts from HP regarding the Smart Array P410i controller:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02582325&dimid=1189919316&dicid=alr_oct10&jumpid=em_alerts/us/oct10/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

and

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02582372&dimid=1189919316&dicid=alr_oct10&jumpid=em_alerts/us/oct10/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

However I have been unable to ascertain from the notes whether these updates pertain to my issue. As such, with these servers in production, I have neglected to research patch methods under FreeBSD (I suspect I will have to create a LiveCD running Windows or Linux, since UNIX and UNIX-like support seems to be restricted to HPUX).

Thanks for the response!
Alzhy
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yay! Sorry for thine grief man.
And whoa -- the old tryst FreeBSD running critical IT.. awesome!
Hakuna Matata.
nsoder
Occasional Advisor

I should mention that HP has already replaced two failed SAS drives from this particular server. I understand that HP does not support FreeBSD anymore, and had only provided limited support in the past. I can certainly boot any LiveCD to help troubleshoot the issue, but at this point I suspect a failing backplane or a shotty RAID controller. I just need more data to confirm my suspicion.

Also, HP used to support FreeBSD by porting the utilities I listed above, but the engineers responsible for the ports have gone off-grid and do not respond to email.

FreeBSD currently supports the HP Smart Array P410i through the generic CISS driver.

I can pull SMART data from the individual drives using smartmontools, but I want to know more about the RAID array. I want to see a log of what caused the array to rebuild, etc. To do that I *think* I need hpacucli updated to work with amd64 systems.

Thanks again!
nsoder
nsoder
Occasional Advisor

@Alzhy,

Hah!

I'm pretty sure I have at least 2 FreeBSD boxes out in the wild that have a very good potential to live longer than myself! :)

PS) My laptop is running Slackware 13.1

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Strange though man... I have P410i based machines having very heavily used SAS 150gigger drives and I've never replaced any of the 12 drives it controls in the past 3 years since its epoch...

BTW, BSD is my Alma Mater OS (along with the old SunOS) Sir...

Good OS... very good OS...
Hakuna Matata.
nsoder
Occasional Advisor

@Alzhy,

Yes very strange!

I'm currently building a FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE (x86) LiveCD with the hpasmd/hpacucli applications installed.

I've put in a downtime request for that particular machine, and I'm hoping to get in queue for the window this weekend so I can test the LiveCD.

Are you aware of any other RAID tools for FreeBSD that might help me diagnose the underlying issue? I found some CAM and PASS driver utilities that I might try to install on my test server, but I'm still keeping my hopes up that someone will track down one of the engineers that ported those utilities!

Thanks,
nsoder
nsoder
Occasional Advisor

I am not completely ruling out false positives on the cciss_vol_status results either... However, the problem machine is one of three identical machines so I am a little skeptical about that.

Again, it has also had two SAS drives fail and sent back to HP. So my gut tells me bad backplane or controller.

Thanks,
nsoder
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Or firmware.
Hakuna Matata.