108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: The New HP Support Center

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I just finished a conference call with HP to talk about the Forums replacement, the HP Communities. I too, have had many of the above concerns about moving to a very different user interface and possibly losing the some two decades of irreplaceable information.

From the program manager:

We will port 100% of the information and attachments from the ITRC Forums into the new Community format.

There is a comment from Kevin about content prior to 2011 not being ported, but that was somewhat misunderstood. What was meant was that 2011 ITRC links pointing from one thread to another thread will be translated as the first priority. At the same time, a tally of the most commonly referenced links between Forum threads will be translated. There are hundreds of thousands of ITRC threads, and many thousands of links between threads that are used to answer other Forum threads, so these are a top priority. But it will a fairly manual effort and will take several months. What will be welcomed from Forums' members are your favorite ITRC bookmarks to threads with good answers and explanations. I will start a new thread for everyone to contribute your bookmarks.

There are two other types of URLs found in the Forums: answers that are found in a document at docs.hp.com, and URLs that refer to white papers, quickspecs, marketing and other HP documents. docs.hp.com links were not addressed in today's conversation as they were broken many months ago, but it is still a major issue that perhaps can be pursued at the HP Discover conferences. As for the non-docs.hp.com references, they will be tallied and again, the most popular links resolved where there is enough detail to identify the new location.

Here is the Enterprise Business section of the Communities:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb

which maps most directly to the HP-UX (and other computer platform topics like Linux, Windows, MPE, OpenVMS, Tru64). The user interface needs work. Too much white space, very little in site navigation, way too many clicks to get to a meaningful category or topic. In the current Forums, there are 20 major categories, all non-ambiguous and with 3-5 popular related categories listed under each category. All told, there are about 100 direct links to technical content with just one click.

But on the (albeit preliminary design) EB Community there is the ever popular Converged Infrastructure and Business Support Forums.

Big sighhhh.

I am hopeful that the Lithium templates can be replaced with a site map format similar to what we have now. I can do without the giant JOIN THE CONVERSATION logo -- the classic hp logo is just fine. The current Forums won their awards based on content, navigation and participation, not web designer creations.

There is concern in the Forums about points -- they will indeed be ported to the Communities. And the point system will be expanded to categorize the 8-9-10 rated posts into answers and solutions. These same 8-9-10 ratings will be categorized as kudos and part of ranking contributors as to effectiveness.

There will be a new search engine to replace the aging ITRC search capability. One of the reasons that HP is moving to Lithium is the age of the Forums code -- it is difficult to maintain and enhance as a lot of it is two decades old, with a lot of expertise having moved on to other opportunities. Lithium's products are very well suited to the type of user interface found in the Forums and will constantly be enhanced and maintained. The Advanced search has 4 useful search refinements:

With all the words
With the exact phrase
With one or more of the words
Without the words

I did ask about the new search engine's limitations with respect to special characters, a common oversight with technology searches. A summary of special character capabilities and restrictions will be forthcoming. I know that most of us will be concerned about characters we can't use in a search.

So I am convinced that the new Community pages will not lose any of the current ITRC Forums' content, and that there is genuine interest within the ITRC management team to enhance and improve the Community value to HP customers. The over-exuberant promoters of the Lithium design may point to video and audio capability, but this comes as part of the product and should not detract from the ongoing development of the user interface and navigation features. Like most technical users, we need answers quickly. Perhaps videos and podcasts can be dropped into in a learning corner.

There are additional interest group conferences scheduled between now and mid-June, the estimated date for the ITRC transition. I will share what I can about the plans and also about the opportunities for other ITRC users to provide ideas and feedback.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Manix
Honored Contributor

Irrespective of the odd against & the new forum
,I believe that that the tech feast would continue to grow & will see each of you there
,right from the beginning of new era from the
1st day of June 2011.

Hoping for the best & against the odds.

Thanks
Manix

HP-UX been always lovable - Mani Kalra
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Bill - thanks a lot for your report about the conf call!
Good to hear that they plan to keep all the ITRC forum content acessible.

Kevin Paul - also thanks for your comments. I have to take issue with this:
> What you see today @ http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb isn't
> completely representative of what the site may look like
> after the transition mid-June. [...] I don't have a specific
> date on when that work will be complete, but I believe it
> will be after our migration in mid-June [...]
So what you are basically saying there is a migration to the forum with a layout that will be obsolete a few months later? I would advise against such a move, better fix it first, then migrate.
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom all,

Change is hard.

Trust me I know, I've changed jobs/contracts 5 times in the past five years. Economic reality.

We the community have been demanding change. From What I found out in an earlier conference call, the current applications and infrastructure were orphaned. Nobody who knew them well enough to make changes still worked at HP. It might be fun to finger point, but it was a reality and it happened.

The current system is great, but it is hard to search, legacy content is not always in great shape.

We demanded change.

Well we got it. The thing to do now IMO is to participate and provide constructive input.

There is plenty of good input in this forum thread, and I'm pretty certain HP is listening. I've been in more frequent contact with the response center because my current role demands HP cases be opened if I can't solve a problem in 5 minutes. There are many people there and elsewhere in the company that are aware of our concerns and are taking them into account.

I am not a heavy consumer of social media and networking sites. Much of my use of those sites however has been to reach out to people like you.

So, I recommend we embrace change and give it a chance. If this great bunch of people move to the new site, how bad can it be?

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Kevin Paul: "...We are partnering with Lithium, who hosts our community site, and provides expertise in the community industry..."

I don't know why you are trying to say this is not outsourcing to a 3rd party when that's exactly what you are saying with this statement.

Question: Why is it not outsourcing if you are relying on Lithium to manager the site? Design? Manage? Code?

In short, if a 3rd party does any work on a project then that's out sourcing, verses, hiring the people to perform the work IN HOUSE.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Michael,

I didn't respond earlier because I've already made my decision to distance myself from the Forums in whatever form they end up. This is, in part, due to what I perceive as HP's lack of appreciation for a valuable resource and my own lack of confidence in the direction HP has chosen to take. I also felt I didn't have anything positive to contribute to this discussion and didn't want to "whine for points".

Perhaps I'm wrong and the strength of this community can overcome whatever obstacles HP puts in its path. The thoughtful comments herein certainly point out that strength. I will continue to hope for survival in some viable and useful form.

Now that it's closed (and points aren't an issue), I would like to thank you for posting this thread. It has provided some special insights that I'm glad I didn't miss.

Good luck to you all!

Pete

Pete
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Ha Ha

Gave you 10 anyway. :-)
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Time to probably move on. With that in mind I'd like to personally thank you all and mention some responses that I believe stand out.

Duncan for re-defining my definition of a community.

Bill Hassell for making my stomach feel better and relax many of my doubts and worries.

Pete Randall for expressing just how deeply this HP decision is affecting out community.

All the Olympians who continue to devote their UNPAID time and who are our biggest resource. May we never lose track of you.

And every responder who took the time to voice their concerns.
Jakes Louw
Trusted Contributor

I haven't been on the ITRC forum for some time, having moved onto Pre-Sales work, but I'm sad to see this forum die. Let's hope the new version can do a fair job.

But perhaps this marks the beginning of the end for HP-UX?
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Getting back 'on topic' this seems to be the new HP Support Center URL:

http://www.hp.com/go/hpsc