108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS upgrade

Patrick_42
Contributor

VMS upgrade

Dear all,

Sorry to interrupt again.

I am planning to upgrade my VMS version. I think the tasks will not be completed in a short time.

And I would like to ask. Taking ACMS as example, our current version is 4.2-1 running on VMS 7.2. According to sw rollout document, ACMS version 4.4A is supporting from VMS 6.2 throught 7.3.

Is it possible if I do the ACMS and maybe other layer product upgrade first before doing the VMS upgrade(at which point I will install a smaller number of layer products at VMS upgrade time).

And, one more question:
What is the difference between "standard support" and "prior version support" ?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Patrick.
4 REPLIES 4
Gary Sachs
Advisor

See the following web site for questions regarding Prior version Support...
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/serv_support.html.

If you are staying at current levels of your products, then you should not require prior version support.

From my personal experience, you can upgrade some layered products before the VMS upgrade, the install guides and release notes will inform you if it is a problem. Also, patches to certain products may need to be re-applied after an OpenVMS upgrade/update, again see the release notes/install guide.
Bradford Hamilton
Regular Advisor

"Is it possible if I do the ACMS and maybe other layer product upgrade first before doing the VMS upgrade(at which point I will install a smaller number of layer products at VMS upgrade time)."

When I recently upgraded my system, this is the approach that I took. I upgraded all the layered products that I could *before* doing the O/S upgrade, so that the only LP upgrade that I had to do afterwards was FORTRAN.

You might also want to plan to install all "Level 1" ECO's shortly after the upgrade is complete.

If you have a spare hard disk, there is a technique that can speed up the O/S installation process; do an IMAGE BACKUP of the O/S CD on to the spare hard disk, and use the hard disk to perform the upgrade. The increase in I/O performance can cut down the time needed to do the upgrade significantly.

Others will answer the rest of your questions, I'm sure.
Mac Lilley
Frequent Advisor

Hello Patrick
You should check for dependencies between layered products - I know that depending on which ACMS (full or run time) you install, CDD may be required, which you then might have to upgrade (see http://www.oracle.com/rdb/product_info/html_documents/index.html?rdb_product_matrix_021210_a.html) . Some layered products may have to be reinstalled after upgrading VMS anyway, you should check the installation guides and release notes.

Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello,

products that are most likely to need a reinstall after the OS upgrade are the compilers, since the appropriate RTL might be overwritten with an older version during the OS install.

Greetings, Martin