Servers - General
1748150 Members
3542 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

how to upgrade firmware in a ups R3000 XR with management module?

how to upgrade firmware in a ups R3000 XR with management module?

A customer of ours has a couple of HP ups, both R3000 XR with firmware 2.00 and management module with firmware 2.1.11. According to advisor c01669577 "http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01669577〈=en&cc=uk&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3362835&prodTypeId=329290 ", it is possible that the ups does not communicate with management module. To prevent this, we have to upgrade firmware to 2.02. Do You know when it may happen that the ups stops communicating with management module? And, do You know if it is possible and how to upgrade the firmware of the ups through the management module? Or we have to put back the board with one serial port (it seems to be a long job)?

Thank You very much
Rodolfo Giovanninetti

2 REPLIES 2
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Re: how to upgrade firmware in a ups R3000 XR with management module?

2 ways to upgrade FW for R3000 UPS:
-Temporary remove the HPMM module (it hotplug so you can do while UPS is still on).
Using a serial connect to serial port on the UPS and upgrade UPS as usual.
-With HP provided serial-RJ45 adapter you can connect a cable to the Config port on the HPMM, set Hyperterminal as 115200,8,N,1,None. When seeing a prompt for "hit as ny in 5 minutes" go ahead hit a space bar and a menu display. Sellect the option "Pass-through Mode" this will allow the Config port now acting as a serial port for UPS. Go head upgrade UPS FW. When done(after FW flash completely and UPS reset)remove the cable, hit reset button on the HPMM and it will reload the application as normal.

Brian
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

Re: how to upgrade firmware in a ups R3000 XR with management module?

I am trying to update the firmware on the HPMM. I have done the steps the mentioned, howerver, after selecting UPS Pass-through, it states Entering Pass-Through Mode and then just hangs there. i went to the website www.hp.com/go/rackandpower and I can not find the HP Flash Utility as stated the manual. Suggesting on how I can get the firmware upgraded?