4746 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: increase of / filesystem using online jfs

dhanish
Regular Advisor

increase of / filesystem using online jfs

HI,
I want to increase the the size of / file system.I have online jfs anfd this file system is vxfs fs.its amirroed one .I have 6 gb of free space in this vg and presently the / is 140 gb.But when i try increasing through sam it says not enough PE;s available error eitherdue to strtict mirror policy or contiguos allocation policy.And these two policies are their by default in hp.So what is recommended way to do that.
Never Say Die
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The recommended way is to NOT increase the / file system.

The more appropriate thing to do is figure out why / is getting full. / should not be used. I've got a 128 MB / filesystem that is only using 29MB.

If / is full check for files that shouldn't be there. Things like 'core' files or file in /dev/rmt/ called 'om' instead of 0m or something to that effect.

If you absolutely must increase / then the easiest way to do it is to use Ignite/UX and make a make_tape_recovery tape and then boot from the tape, make sure you into interactive mode, change your LV parameters and then rebuild the system as you want it.
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it is better not to try to increase the / file system size. (it can be done by re-installing using custom method). remove all the unwanted files in /
never give up
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Nitin

You need to trim down / in case you ahve unwanted core files , log files , or files in /dev/rmt .

Still in case you want more space then make an ignite tape ( use -i option ) and restore it back with an increased space allocation for /.

Manoj Srivastava
dhanish
Regular Advisor

Thanks to all of u ...I will try to trim some files.
Never Say Die
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello nitin,

it CAN be done (been there, got the t-shirt)...
if you have another (empty) disk in your vg00:

0) make a backup using "make_tape_recovery -A"
1) "pvmove" the root-FS to the new disk
un-mirror first, if it is mirrored!
2) "lvextend" the LV
3) "fsadm" the FS
4) "pvmove" all the other LVs to the new disk
5) now "pvmove" them all back
6) take care that "lvlnboot" saves the new addresses
7) reboot

if it does not work, you have to fall back on to your
make-recovery tape, of course (and be careful: I am
not certain if this way of using "pvmove" is actually
*supported*, at least it did work for me in the past).

just my $0.02,
Wodisch
Rich Owens

Ditto to Wodisch. I have done this successfuly also. Others things to look at is what is on root and trim logs on a regular basis. I run a chop log script once a week. Since you only have 140M for root the following probably won't help but /var /stand /tmp and /opt could be on their own file systems if they aren't.