New Discussion юеВ

inetd daemon

SOLVED
Go to solution
dhanish
Regular Advisor

inetd daemon

Hi ,
When i rebooted my one of the systems then it came up in run level 3 but inetd was not running so i tried to start withy /sbin/init.d/inetd start but it says it could not be startedcand gives me usage error..when i used /usr/sbin/inetd..it started ...but whenevr i reboot my system then inetd doesnot get started automatically which it shud start using the scripr /sbin/rc2.d/S500inetd start..acn any body help me.
Never Say Die
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: inetd daemon

Check the /etc/rc.log file and see what errors it reports when it tries to start networking.

Also check the /sbin/init.d/inetd script and make sure it hasn't changed recently. The scripts in /sbin/init.d should NOT be modified, unless they are startup scripts you have created yourself.

dhanish
Regular Advisor

Hi,
I checked the rc.log file and the script too.The rc.log says inetd could not not be started..usge error ..same error i get if try to exec the script manually.I have compared the two scripts one from the wrking system and other from this system on ehich i am getting the error no diff but still my inetd doesnot gte started at boot time.i dont know why...i am wrking on it...
Never Say Die
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Check your /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons file. It contains the setting for the INETD_ARGS variable which is passed to inetd inside of /sbin/init.d/inetd. Perhaps it has some bad switch settings for that variable?

JP
dhanish
Regular Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for the nice clue.the value is INETD_ARGS="-1".What shud i change this to.
Never Say Die
John Poff
Honored Contributor
Solution

That variable is null on all the netdaemon files on all my systems. According to the man page for inetd, the only command line options for inetd are -c, -k and -l. The -c option tells it to re-read the config file, -k kills inetd, and -l turns on logging. If I had to guess, I'd say it looks like someone modified that file to turn on logging and typed in '-1' (number one) instead of '-l' (letter ell). So I'd suggest changing it to letter ell or taking it out all together.

JP
dhanish
Regular Advisor

Thanks a lot Patric and John .Just now i have rebooted the system so inetd came up of its own.if you can tell me if there are any other such scripts which takes the argument defines in other files ..apart fronm the native one.That will be a help for future prblms..
Never Say Die
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Great! I'm glad that solved your problem.

As for your question about the other programs that require startup options, the only thing I can suggest is to take a quiet couple of hours and look at the files in the /etc/rc.config.d directory. I find something new every time I go poking around in there. Also, as Patrick mentioned the /etc/rc.log is a good log file to keep an eye on as it will contain messages from programs that complain when they start up.

JP