1753468 Members
4760 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lpd & syslogd

Ravinder Singh Gill
Regular Advisor

lpd & syslogd

I have been told to investigate what the impact of configuring lpd & syslogd so that they do not listen for network connections will be. Apparently there is a risk that changing lpd will affect COSMOS/COSPRINT service. What are lpd & syslogd?
5 REPLIES 5
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: lpd & syslogd

syslogd is the syslog daemon. This is the daemon that writes relevant system activity into the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If lpd does not listen for network connections, there is not much point in running it. lpd (line printer daemon) is what machines communicate with when printing to a printer on a remote machine. If lpd isn't running, or not listening, then you can't print.

syslogd is the syslog daemon. If the machine in question is NOT a syslog server, meaning other machine are not sending their syslog message to this machine, then you are safe in running syslogd so it does not listen for network connections. This, in my opinion, should be the default unless you set up a syslog server.

Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

lpd is a print server for TCP/IP printing for Winblows NT to receive customized AS400 print jobs

The (l)ine (p)rinter (d)aemon

See this on Linux as well but haven't seen this on HPUX
Ravinder Singh Gill
Regular Advisor

How do I check is listening for network connections is configured on syslogd or not? And how do I disable it if I need to?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The syslogd daemon, by default, listens on the network for connections.

To prevent start syslogd with the '-N' option. To do this, modify the /etc/rc.config.d/syslogd file and make the line SYSLOGD_OPTS look like this:

SYSLOGD_OPTS="-DN"

You will then need to stop and restart the syslog daemon.

# /sbin/init.d/syslogd stop

# /sbin/init.d/syslogd start

Have a look the the syslogd man page for more details.