5763 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

photosmart s20 driver for linux

Radek Pospisil
Occasional Contributor

photosmart s20 driver for linux

hello,

is there a photosmart s20 driver for linux; or is there a group/project (like for printers) working on that; or is there a specification of communication protocol for that scanner (note: this scanner is not SCL-aware)?

thanks for help,

radek pospisil
5 REPLIES 5
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: photosmart s20 driver for linux

Hello,

It seems that the photosmart S20 is connected via USB.

Go to http://www.linux-usb.org, then click "Working devices list", then "device overview" and finally "image" : you can see that "photosmart S20" is not supported by the Linux USB driver.

I went to http://sourceforge.net, then I looked for "photosmart" : no project found.

I hope this answered your questions.

Good luck.

Kodjo

P.S. Don't forget to rate this answer.
Learn and explain...
Radek Pospisil
Occasional Contributor

hello,

thank you Kodjo Agbenu for ackowledging of my problem (and not only my problem). Well, I had to note in my previous post-question, that I tried all searchs, emails, etc that are available on the linux/HP/web - without any success. The result is - there is no photosmart s20 linux driver and no one knows if HP/someone is working on it.

radek pospisil
Miroslav BENES

I'm looking for linux Photosmart S20 driver too.

I have heard, that HP is working on this linux support, but I have not found any information about it yet.

If you have same new information about this scaner, please email me.

Thanks.

mbenes (at) tenez.cz
Guy Hermans

There's been talk about supporting the S20 under linux forever. Nothing ever materialized, so I'm guessing it's safe to say nothing but vaporware will be forthcoming from HP. I'm guessing they'd rather support MacOS, considering it's a lot more popular than linux among the DTP crowd likely to buy an S20, but no such luck either. Ever a well-known third-party PC/Mac scanning utility won't support the S20 under MacOS. Also, no OSS interest groups have formed, so you shouldn't expect anything there either. So unless you're going to reverse-engineer the communication protocols and start a linux interest group yourself, it ain't gonna happen. Sorry.
Michael Creutz
Advisor

It is amusing that a HP photosmart s20 was recently included as a promotion with the evo 310 with linux. I like the computer very much, but can't use the included scanner with it. The scanner works fine from my Dell laptop on the windows side.