Michael warner

upgrade 10.20

Hi i need info on how to upgrade from 10.20 to 11.00
regards.
8 REPLIES 8
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: upgrade 10.20

Save yourself an immense amount of work and cold install 11.0. There are numerous post here in the ITRC that recommend this technique. 11.0 has a very different operating system core due to 32/64 bit capability, and LAN drivers/subsystems are a big problem in an upgrade.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Best piece of advice, don't! Save yourself hours of pain agony and work, by installing a fresh cold copy. The success rate of this particular upgrade is minimal at the very least. I have actually tried this about 6 times, with no success. If possible your best best is to utilise your second internal disk (if you have one), build your new OS and import the the remainder of your volume groups. It is not that a big deal if done correctly.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Bill Hassell is absolutely correct (when isn't he?)! You will a whole lot better chance at success if you do a cold install of HP-UX 11.0 rather than trying to upgrade 10.20 to 11.0

You can find lots of threads on teh subject by clicking on 'search' and putting "10.20 upgrade" and you will get lots of results. Here's one as a sample:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x0bdefef4d250d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

You should also read through the "HP-UX 11.0 Installation and Update Guide" located here:
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-0103/5187-0103.html
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

yes slowly and slowly u'll get into trouble. Coz a lot of libraries remains unchanged and u'll have a mixture of both 10.20 and 11.00 so its a good advice to do a fresh installation and recompile your programs to work efficiently on 11.00

Cheers
Rajeev
Ian Kidd_1
Trusted Contributor

I've successfully changed the operating system from 10.20 to 11i on 5 servers. I DID NOT upgrade.

I did this using cold installs/restores. Do an upgrade only if:
(1) you want to work the ENTIRE weekend
(2) you like pain and suffering
(3) you're insane

There's plenty of advice to be found regarding the upgrade. Make sure you've got it planned completely before undertaking this (printers, users, restores, backup tool, configurable kernel parameters, vgexports/vgimports, applications, network/routing settings, just to name a few)
If at first you don't succeed, go to the ITRC
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I strongly urge you to do cold install rather than upgrade.
never give up
Thomas Mittereder
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
if it is possible to make a new installation I one would make.
We secured the most important files, make the new installation, necessary files rewound.
A new installation if it possible is always the best, is also the opinion from a HP-technican.
Manju Kampli
Trusted Contributor
Solution

there are pro and cons doing upgrade to 11.00 and doing a fresh install .. it all depends on individual experiences.

First thing you need to do is, make the full backup of system (with ignite/ux aswell) and then do what you like.
there are documents available in www.docs.hp.com about the installation and upgrade of 11.00 which may help you in this.

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/os/11.0/index.html#Installing%20and%20Updating

HTH,
Manju
Never stop "LEARNING"