New Discussion юеВ

Re: what this error means

SOLVED
Go to solution
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

what this error means

hi,
When I was running a program, suddenly this error came and I got a core dump for Bus error.

Pid 5841 killed due to text modification or pageI/O error

Its a hpux 10.2 machine. Can I know what this error means and how it could have happened.

TIA
Umapathy
Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!
11 REPLIES 11
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

may be problems (h/w) with the disk or more likely your program exists on a soft mounted NFS disc and a time out has occured, giving the "Pid xxx killed due to text modification or page I/O error"

I'd suggest latest libc and NFS related patches
for starters ..... list mount options if this is an NFS related problem ... otherwise a few more details maybe needed ....
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Alex,
Thanks for the info. This has occured only once, so I mostly think it is a time out problem. What does 'text modification' internally means. I want to know the details at that level.

Any document pointers will be greatly helpful.

-Umapathy
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Uma,

check your memory and swap usage.
If they are full try increasing more swap.

make sure you load the appropriate patches.

This is the HPDOC

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000062925494
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Do check whether the duplex/speed settings are same between the switch and the server.

Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

I think then you best raise a call with HP support. Saying that I don't know myself.

However since you've not mentioned any NFS connections possible reasons are:

* insufficient swap space
* bad maxdsize and/or maxssize
* H/W problem on swap disk

I'd check and increase the kernel parameters:
* maxdsize and maxssize
*check swap space if the problem occurs again using
# swapinfo -t
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

okay, this error didnt occur to me. My friend mailed me and asked the meaning of this error rather than solving it because he got only once and never again. I was able to explain the page I/O error but not 'text modification'.

cheers
Umapathy
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor
Solution

"text modification" means that during the execution of the program the executable file (a.out format file) seems to have changed. That can hardly occur for a local executable file, but can more easily occur for a remote executable file, i.e. on a NFS-mounted filesystem, hence the reference to NFS.

For the "page I/O error" you should check the swap disk(s), i.e. do a "swapinfo" and look at the "dev" devices. Then do a dd(1) read test on those devices, i.e.

dd if=/dev/vg??/rvol? of=/dev/null bs=1024k
Charles Emery

I have the same exact error message that UMA described, but on an HPUX 11.00 box, and showing up repeatedly. Using all checks suggested in this thread for non-NFS causes, I found no problems.

What if NFS is involved? What do I need to check to see if NFS is the source of the problem?
I have users on one host who get this error, and users on another host where they don't. Both hosts use the same executable on the same NFS mount from a third host.
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Charles,
Normally the binary is locked whenever the TEXT page is modified. But on NFS it is not so. So monitor those binaries which you are accessing from NFS server whether they are modified. On prooduction systems this might not be the case.

HTH,
Umapathy