1754265 Members
3022 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

9GB external Fast SCSI drives to 9000/D210 Server

Talat Malik
Occasional Contributor

9GB external Fast SCSI drives to 9000/D210 Server

I just bought a used HP 9000/D210 with SE SCSI card. It has an internal 2GB drive and I would like to add more disk drives to it.

Machine is running HP UX 11.0.

Can I add 4 external 9GB Fast SCSI drives? Is there any document detailing how I could do that?
Talat Malik
4 REPLIES 4
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Re: 9GB external Fast SCSI drives to 9000/D210 Server

You can purchase add-on F&W SCSI cards, normally of the HSC type. This would allow you to connect external F&W discs.
However, just to make sure, check that the card that the internal disc is connected to, as this may be a F&W card, and if memory serves me, you should be able to hook up external discs.
HTH
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Sorry, my first reply was a test.
I think you mean "fast and wide differential" when you say "fast". You must not plugg those disks on the built in "single ended" SCSI port. You have to obtain a F/W HSC-SCSI Card
A4107A. Include the sdisk driver to the kernel and plugg the new disks to the card. The device files are created during the startup of HP-UX. Use "ioscan -fnC disk" to check if they are recogniyed by the system.
By the way, if you have an optional hot swap disk bay in your D-Class, there is already an F/W SCSI Card installed and you can use it for the new disks (use unique SCSI adresses and terminate the last disk !).
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Talat,

you asked for a document which describes how to install disks. Try "Configuring HP-UX For Peripherals":
http://docs.hp.com:80/dynaweb/hpux11/hpuxen1a/perien1a/@Generic__BookTextView/10494
how to install an interface card:
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/A3262-90007.pdf

There is no good troubleshooting with bad data